This 30-Minute Healthy Chicken Burrito Bowl starts with a layer of leafy romaine and is topped with LOADS of whole-food ingredients like black beans, fire roasted corn, seasoned quinoa, fresh avocado and juicy tomatoes. Drizzle a bit of tangy cilantro lime vinaigrette and you’ve got Fresh. Filling. Delicious.
I love giant “Buddha Bowls” loaded with crazy combinations, elaborate dressings and swanky food stuff, but in real life, they are kinda abhorrent to make. These chicken burrito bowls are simple, quick and fuss-free, because I 1000% believe that practical, realistic, ready in 30 minutes recipes are the best kind.
You know those times when cooking is just hard? Lately – meal time has been been just that. Not hard as in physically difficult – hard as in, ” I have NO motivation so, I think I’ll just pop a frozen pizza in the oven.” I mean when it really comes down to it, there are just days that I would prefer to just do the eating part. Aaaahhh… dreams.
Harsh reality.. If I don’t cook, nobody around here is gonna pick up the slack, aaannnnnd apparently my family expects dinner Every. Single. Night.
I don’t know why I haven’t posted this recipe sooner. It is one of my real-life go to dinner solutions when I REALLY don’t want to spend time in the kitchen, but don’t really have an excuse not to. The ingredients are totally customizable. Want to live a little and add some cheese, do it! Have kids that gag at the mere mention of black beans, take em out. You get the idea. These chicken burrito bowls are simple, requiring only 30 minutes start to finish. Bonus? The leftovers make a great lunch for the next day.. so it’s a 2 birds with 1 stone type situation?.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: This recipe is perfect for prepping. Every single ingredient and the dressing can be prepped ahead of time. If you want to really save yourself some time.. have the family assemble their own bowls at dinner time. This ensures that everyone has exactly what they like and you don’t have to put everyone’s bowl together!
Make Ahead: Because my kids are too young to put their own bowls together and Joe, well, he just doesn’t want to?, I always make this recipe ahead of time. Just follow recipe directions, assemble bowls and cover them with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for 1-2 days!
Freezer: Sorry guys, not this time. The ingredients are just too fresh! However, if you want to make a big batch of quinoa and store some in the freezer for later… go for it!
30-Minute Healthy Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 large burrito bowls
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 TBS fresh lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil + more for cooking chicken
- 1 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt + more for seasoning chicken
- 1 lb. chicken thighs, organic recommended
- 1 TBS taco seasoning
- 6 cups of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups quinoa or brown rice, prepared according to package directions (I use frozen)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- salsa (optional)
- DRESSING: Puree cilantro, yogurt, lime juice, garlic, 1/4 cup of olive oil, white vinegar, and 1/8 tsp of salt in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
- CHICKEN: Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with a thin layer of olive oil. While oil heats, pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle taco seasoning over both sides of chicken thigh. Add chicken to pan. Cook for 12-15 minutes (flipping halfway through cooking) or until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Remove chicken from skillet, dice and set aside.
- ASSEMBLY: To each bowl add 1 1/2 cups of romaine lettuce, 1/2 cup of quinoa, 1/2 cup of corn, 1/4 can of black beans, 1/2 of an avocado, and 1/2 of a tomato. Top with 1/4 of the diced chicken and drizzle with creamy cilantro lime dressing. Add salsa if desired.
- The cilantro-lime dressing takes about 5 minutes to create, but since the theme of these bowls is simple and customizable I feel obligated to let you know.. this isn’t essential. There have been many nights that I toss a some salsa on the top and call it quits. Trust me, nobody is complaining.
- I like using chicken thighs. They are moist and have tons of flavor, buuuuuttt… chicken breasts are def the healthier option. Feel free to substitute!
- I used Simple Truth frozen quinoa/brown rice blend. Even though I cook All. The. Time. I still find making perfectly cooked quinoa difficult. For this reason, I love the frozen option. It comes out perfectly every single time and is ready in 5 minutes! Make sure to check the the ingredient list before purchasing a frozen blend. It should contain grains and possibly a little olive oil and salt,nothing else is really necessary.
Other 30-Minute Whole Food Recipes:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!