Easy, 4 Ingredient Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos with whole wheat tortillas, shredded cheddar, and spicy pico are healthy, filling and couldn’t be simpler to throw together.
Today I’m bringing you another one of my all time favorite “Real Life Recipes” to the blog, 4-Ingredient Salsa Verde Chicken (not to be confused with 4-ingredient Pesto Chicken Bake), and it’s YUMMY!
REAL LIFE CONFESSOIN… I make it no less than 1x per week. I like it because it’s super healthy and Joe and the kids like it because, well… what’s not to love about a taco?
(SPOILER ALERT: It can also be done in the slow cooker… directions at the bottom of this post under the Helpful Hints section).
Sometimes food bloggers (me included) take liberties with the word simple. You guys, this time that is most definitely NOT the case. 4 Ingredients, 5 minutes prep and That. Is. It. In fact, this recipe is so easy that my 6 year old son, Cooper made them for us last night (with a little help from me with the chopping).
So hear’s the deal… (in keeping with the theme of simple.. I’m going with picture form today!
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 60-90 minutes (I think my baking time went a little longer since I doubled the recipe). Towards the end make sure to check frequently… you don’t want that salsa to dry up! When chicken is cooked through and onions are translucent remove from oven.
When you see the concoction that comes out of the oven.. Do. Not. Panic. This is not a beauty pageant. Most likely it will look like the stuff that is left in the turkey’s drip pan after Thanksgiving.. it’s OK, just trust!
Now.. here’s comes an awesome kitchen hack. If you have a stand mixer… dump the contents of the whole pot into the bowl. Using the paddle attachment, turn the mixer on low. Chicken shredding.. done. How awesome is that? No stand mixer.. no worries. You can use 2 forks to shred the chicken and then stir using a wooden spoon to combine.
This stuff is AWESOME on everything! I have used it for chicken noodle soup, sweet potato topping, quesadilla filler, salad enhancer.. you get the idea. But our family favorite is to plop a large scoop of salsa verde chicken into the middle of a tortillas and top with a squeeze of lime juice, a dollop of pico and any of your other traditional taco favorites.
4 Ingredient Salsa Verde Chicken Video:
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: Why bother? It is SOOOOO easy.
Make Ahead: Salsa Verde Chicken is one of those magical dishes that only gets tastier with time (within reason of course). I like to make a big double batch on Sunday afternoon and eat on it thought the week. There are so many ways to use it that you don’t even get tired of it!
Freezer: I haven’t tried it with this recipe yet… there aren’t ever any leftovers! If you do, let me know how it goes and I will update the post.
- 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 Cup Salsa Verde (I use Trader Joe's)
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Heat oven to 350.
- In a dutch oven or glass baking dish arrange chicken thighs in a single layer. Top with salsa, onions, and garlic.
- Cover and bake for 60-90 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and onions are translucent.
- Shred chicken (you can use 2 forks, or the stand mixer method described in the post). Once chicken has been shredded, use a wooden spoon to combine shredded chicken and juices.
- Serve as desired. (I like taco style!)
- This recipe can also be done in the crock pot. Follow directions in recipe above but place ingredients in crock pot instead of a dutch oven or glass baking dish. Cook on low for 5-7 hours. Enjoy:)
- Make sure you select a salsa verde that contains natural ingredients and no funky stuff.
- I bought EVERYTHING for this recipe from Trader Joe’s. I LOVED their Salsa Verde and the price of their organic chicken breast!
- Looking for more simple whole-food meals? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! I add new pins from my favorite bloggers around the web daily.
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook . Check it out, if you like what you see.. follow.
Other Recipes Like 4 – Ingredient Salsa Verde Chicken Salad:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!