Well.. it’s time for you to meet my latest and greatest. It’s Southwest inspired, super simple, totally filling, and crazy fast. Introducing Chipotle Chicken quesadillas???‼️
I’m talking a crispy golden brown whole wheat tortillas wrapped around melted cheddar cheese and a spicy chicken and black bean filling that is topped with fresh avocado and cilantro.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
PREP: You can make the filling 2-3 days in advance. I like to make a big bowl and create the quesadillas as I need them. Once assembled they don’t keep very well in the fridge. This is a perfect dinner for those nights that the whole family isn’t able to sit down to dinner at once.
FREEZE: Make the filling and freeze it in an airtight labeled Ziplock bag. You can freeze a portion big enough for your family or put smaller amounts in baggies for individual portions.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ cup of corn
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 avocado
- cilantro (optional)
- 6 whole grain tortillas
- In a large skillet on medium high-high, heat 2 tsp of olive oil. Add garlic, and salute for a minute. Add chicken, lime juice to the skillet. Sprinkle with chipotle powder and continue to salute until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Remove chicken. Set aside. Clean skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, cheese, ½ cup of salsa, beans, and corn. Lightly mist one side of 2 tortillas with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Place 1 tortilla (sprayed side down) in the skillet. Spread ¼ of the bean mixture onto the tortillas (making sure to leave space around the edges). Place the other tortilla (sprayed side up) over the filling. Cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping.
- Remove Quesadilla from heat and cut into 4 wedges. Serve with salsa and avocado.
- When you buy pre-shredded cheese there are all types of additives. Buy a block and shred your own with a grater. It’s healthier… and a little bit cheaper too:)
- Make sure your salsa is only made out of ingredients that you recognize. You should only buy salsa that requires refrigeration.
- Make sure that your tortillas are labeled 100% whole wheat or grain., and check the ingredients. I like to use Ezekiel brand, they crisp up wonderfully! You can find them in the freezer section of most grocery stores. Trader Joe’s also has a nice selection of fresh tortillas that are made from real food ingredients.
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!