This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BalancedMealsMadeEasy #CollectiveBias
Healthy Chicken Salad.. all of the flavor, none of the mayo! Seasoned chicken, fresh herbs and a simple yogurt-based dressing. Paired with whole-grain crackers, fresh grapes and crispy veggie sticks.
It’s that time of year… resolutions, will-power and drastic declarations of health and fitness have become distant memory as Winter drags on-and-on-and-on-and on.
For me, this time of year is really tough. Grocery shopping, going to the gym, entertaining the kids, well.. it’s just harder when it’s cold and dreary.
This week I am trying to be extra intentional about what I’m eating and how active I am. Not because I’m trying to lose weight, not because there is a super important event coming up, but because nothing combats the Winter blues like healthy balanced meals and exercise.
Over the last couple of weeks I have REALLY been getting into batch-prepping (example A, B and C). Sounds fancy right! Not so much, basically.. I make BIG portions of a recipe or 2 and then eat it all week. Since Joe eats at the hospital and the boys take lunch boxes, it’s just me at lunch time. Annddd if I’m being completely honest, I really don’t mind eating the same 1 or 2 things for a week.
I love batch-prepping, but an issue I was running into was that I wasn’t controlling my portions. I mean.. come on, if there is a giant bowl of chicken salad, fresh cut veggies and fruits, well.. sometimes my will power just gets away from me. For this reason, I was really excited to find a new product when I was shopping at Kroger this week. Rubbermaid® Balance™ Meal Kits are super affordable, nutritionally balanced pre-portion containers for fruits, vegetables, grains and protein. In other words, the right foods AND the right amount. Added bonus, it came with 35 recipes (a month of lunches) and they all look really really yummy. I also liked it because it comes with a carry box and removable tray so whether I’m working from home or need a grab it and go situation.. I’m good.
I’ve definitely got sticky notes sticking out all over the recipe book highlighting healthy recipes I want to try, but today… I’m batch prepping healthy chicken salad. And then.. I’m not thinking about lunch for the next 5 days!
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
- If you aren’t using a rotisserie chicken then you need to do a little prep work. Place 3 chicken breasts into a casserole dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper (don’t be shy.. nobody likes bland chicken). Bake in the oven at 350 until no longer pink in the center, about 35 minutes. If you’re feeling super ambitious, while the chicken is baking, go ahead and do a little veggie chopping. You’ll thank yourself later!
- Chop up some extra veggies, wash and de-stem your grapes, and hide your crackers in a spot that the kids aren’t going to eat them all, lol. This little extra step will make loading up your fruit, grain and veggie containers for your Meal Kit take under 5 minutes each night.
- Yep, that’s kinda the point here! I keep the chicken salad in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap in the fridge all week. Each night, Add your chicken salad to the protein container (no need to measure) and then place prepped veggies, grapes and crackers into their labeled containers.
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ english cucumber, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 TBS plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBS yellow mustard
- 1½ TBS fresh dill, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Enjoy!
- The Rubbermaid® Balance™ Meal Kit can be purchase at Kroger or Fred Meyer Stores. They are regularly priced at 19.99 but are on sale for a limited time at a price of $14.99. Learn more about them on the Rubbermaid® Balance™ Meal Kits Website. You can also check out more Rubbermaid Products on Facebook or on Instagram, handle @Rubbermaid.
- When selecting crackers, look for a product that is 100% whole-grain and that contains as few ingredients as possible. You should be able to recognize ALL the ingredients.
- I intentionally left grapes out of the chicken salad recipe, some people just aren’t into it! Mix the grapes from the fruit compartment into your chicken salad if you want em!
- Chicken breast sizes vary as does the amount of flavor chicken has. A rotisserie chicken will have more flavor than boiled, etc.. For this reason, the recipe is an outline. Taste as you go and add as you need!
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
Posts like Healthy Chicken Salad + Rubbermaid® Balance™ Meal Kit :
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!