Buffalo Chicken rolls are simple, requiring just a few minutes prep. Soft melty cheese rolled inside thinly sliced chicken breasts and topped with homemade buffalo sauce.
If you missed Tuesday’s post, let me fill you in. We are T-4 days from kitchen demolition day around here!!! We are getting new cabinets, countertops, flooring, the works. I spent the day emptying our pantry. That right.. the day, on our pantry. You guys, I feel very confident in saying we can NEVER move. Not. Ever.
Since this is a place where I try to keep things open and honest, I feel compelled to tell you.. I think I might be hoarder. Not in all areas of my life. Buuuuuut, my kitchen, well.. it’s pretty bad (and I haven’t even gotten to the cooking utensils and sheet pans).
I had 16 boxes of chicken broth. 16 boxes! This is particularly alarming since 90% of the time, I make my own, sooooooo the freezer may or may not have 6-10 gallon ziplock bags filled with broth as well.
Tomato sauce was another particular area of concern, 14 cans of tomato sauce. One of them actually had an expiration date from 2012. A canned good 5 years past it’s prime just hanging out in my pantry with 13 of it’s best buddies. It’s not a problem, right?
All this to say, as of tomorrow the water supply to our kitchen will be turned off and our kitchen will be off limits for the next month. I’ve been cooking and prepping meals like a crazy person over the past couple of weeks in an effort to keep us from eating out Every. Single. Night. during the construction. So today’s post is the second (make sure to check out pecan crusted pork chops if you missed it) of what will probably be many more make-ahead -friendly-meals headed your way.
These buffalo chicken rolls are spicy, cheesy and stuffed with wilted spinach and artichokes hearts. I will admit they have become a bit of a joke around our house. I have made them no less than 8 times in an effort to get them looking lovely for their photos. I’m going to let you in on a fun fact, photographing ANYTHING orange is tough. For this reason, I went with step-by-step style photos instead of the normal 3-5 “glamor” shots.
With that said, once you give these guys a taste, you won’t be thinking about the pictures. I promise.
Throwing these buffalo chicken rolls together is really simple, especially if you do a little prep in advance. When I am feeling particularly on top of life I like to go ahead and prepare the sauce and the ricotta filling ahead of time. Both will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If you take the time to pre-make the sauce and the filling all that’s left to do is to make the chicken rolls and bake them. Just lay the chicken out on a sheet of parchment paper, add a dollop of filling to the center of each chicken breast and roll it up. Make sure to place them seam side down in the baking dish.
Before popping these into the oven, drizzle half of the buffalo sauce on top of the chicken rolls. Once chicken is cooked through, remove it from the oven and top each chicken breast with a thin slice of mozzarella and stick them back into the oven until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Top with a little parsley if you are feeling fancy.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks
Prep: The chicken rolls can be assembled entirely ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. I do recommend that you wait to pour the buffalo sauce on until you are just about to pop them into the oven. If you aren’t up to assembling the entire recipe, you could definitely pre-make the cheese stuffing or the buffalo sauce and store it in the refrigerator until needed.
Make Ahead: Yes! I like to double this recipe and use the extras for lunches throughout the week. Buffalo Chicken Rolls will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and is particularly delicious on top of a bed of lettuce (also known as a a salad, lol).
Freezer: You bet. These Buffalo Chicken Rolls are freezer friendly. Follow recipe instructions, but don’t bake. Instead cover chicken rolls with a loose layer of plastic wrap and follow up with a layer of foil. Store in the freezer for up to a month.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 1 TBS white vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 4 oz. baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup artichoke hearts, chopped
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 8 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 8 slices of mozzarella
- In a small pot over medium heat, add butter and garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant. Add hot sauce, vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Stir continuously until butter is melted and sauce is warm. Remove from heat.
- To a medium skillet, add 1 Tbs olive oil, spinach and artichokes. Stir frequently until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and place in mixing bowl.
- To the mixing bowl, add ricotta, parmesan, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Add 1 Tbs of ricotta mixture to the middle of each chicken breast. Roll the chicken so that the edges meet to form a "seam."
- Place rolled chicken into baking dish seam side down. Top with ½ of the buffalo sauce. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Drizzle the remaining buffalo sauce over the chicken, top each chicken roll with a slice of fresh mozzarella. Bake an additional 3-5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Let’s Be Friends:
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
Posts Like Buffalo Chicken Rolls:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!