Sheet Pan Italian Sausage Gyros are simple to make, requiring just 10 minutes hands on prep. Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage, tender roasted red bell peppers and sweet onions wrapped in a whole-wheat pita with melty mozzarella and marinara.
It’s Spring Break.
No, I didn’t forget to add millions of exclamations to the above statement.
(DISCLAIMER: Juvenile and VERY 1st world problem complaint coming at you.. don’t say I didn’t warn you!).
I’m NOT at the beach. I’m not on vacation. I’m home. Doing nothing.
In a desperate attempt to add some fun factor to the boys Spring Break, yesterday was spent at the public library and on a catastrophic shoe shopping trip. I’ll spare you the details about shoe shopping, it involves Campbell, throw up, annnnnd.. this is a food blog. Trust, the outcome was anything but appetizing.
As I sat in the library tracing 14,000 green octopuses commissioned by my super picky 3 year old, I had a funny thought.. my 20-something-year-old-self would be horrified by my choice of Spring Break activities. I actually laughed out loud (and I didn’t write that just for dramatic effect). Life sure has changed just a bit in the last 10 years.
Adding to the Spring Break excitement is the fact that there are never less than 3 men working in my kitchen at any given time, making cooking and therefore blogging a little tough. So … today, we continue the month long series.. simple, make-ahead, friendly family dinners. After all.. it’s my Spring Break too!
You guys are going to love this one. In fact, I have no idea why I didn’t post it sooner. I make it All. The. Time.
Here’s the pitch…
10 minutes prep + 1 sheet pan = Italian Hoagies with Roasted Red Peppers and Sweet Onions‼️
(FACT: ZERO dirty dishes)
Let’s break it down a bit.
I wasn’t kidding around when I said that this one was super simple. Cut the veggies, toss them with a few things, spread them out on a sheet pan and strategically place chicken sausages around the pan. Bake.
You can eat the cooked peppers and onions and call it a day, OR you can get super fancy and go for gyros! Just top pitas or Naan bread with some store-bought marinara and a slice of mozzarella and pop them into the oven.
Top those guys with the cooked sausage and peppers and you have a delicious dinner that was virtually effort free!
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: This recipe can be assembled 1-2 days ahead of time. Just follow steps 1-3 of the recipe. Then cover prepared sheet pan with plastic wrap and store in the fridge. When you are ready for dinner, pop the tray in the oven and bake according to directions.
Make Ahead: These are great grab and go lunches. Pre- assemble sandwiches, wrap in plastic wrap. When you are ready, heat in microwave or oven until warm.
Freeze: Chop Peppers and onions and place them in a gallon ziplock bag, do not cook. Wrap sausages in clear wrap (or a smaller ziplock bag) add to gallon ziplock bag. Store the airtight labeled bag in the freezer. No prep, no dishes dinner, ready to go! To thaw, remove bag from freezer the night before you want to prepare the meal.Print
Sheet Pan Italian Sausage Gyros
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 hoagies
- 3 Red Bell Peppers
- 3 Sweet Onions
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 5 links Italian Chicken Sausage
- 5 Whole Wheat Pitas or Naan Bread
- 2.5 oz. mozzarella cheese
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange the peppers and onions into a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Arrange sausages on sheet pan.
- Roast for 15 minutes, flip sausages and toss veggies, roast an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove cooked sausage and veggies form oven. Wrap up in aluminum foil from the sheet pan (use oven mits) to keep warm and set aside.
- Arrange Naan or pita bread on the baking sheet. Add a strip of marinara down the center of each and top with a slice of mozzarella. Place into hot oven. Bake until cheese is melted and gooey. Remove from oven.
- Place a piece of sausage on top of each slice of mozzarella and top with cooked peppers and onions. Serve immediately.
- Red bell peppers ore on the EWG’s dirty dozen list, buy organic when possible.
- Make sure hoagies are 100% whole wheat, the label whole wheat is not meaningful.
- Mozzarella should be purchased in block form to avoid nasty additives that are used to keep pre-shredded cheese from sticking together. Buy organic when possible.
- Too much bread for you in this recipe? The peppers and onions are delicious sans bread, or on top of a sweet potato or salad!
Let’s Be Friends:
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
Recipes like Sheet Pan Italian Sausage Gyros:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!