Spicy Italian Sausage, tender roasted red bell peppers and sweet onions topped with freshly grated mozzarella cheese.
5 minutes + 1 sheet pan = Italian Hoagies with Roasted Red Peppers and Sweet Onions‼️
(FACT: ZERO dirty dishes)
Yep.. true story. Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil, toss the ingredients on, bake. That’s it. Dinner done.
Is there anything else that needs to be said to convince you.. I think not. Post over. Go make hoagies!
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: This recipe can be assembled 1-2 days ahead of time. Just follow steps 1-3 of the recipe. Then cover prepared sheet pan with plastic wrap and store in the fridge. When you are ready for dinner, pop the tray in the oven and bake according to directions.
Make Ahead: These are great grab and go lunches. Pre- assemble sandwiches, wrap in plastic wrap. When you are ready, heat in microwave or oven until warm.
Freeze: Chop Peppers and onions and place them in a gallon ziplock bag, do not cook. Wrap sausages in clear wrap (or a smaller ziplock bag) add to gallon ziplock bag. Store the airtight labeled bag in the freezer. No prep, no dishes dinner, ready to go! To thaw, remove bag from freezer the night before you want to prepare the meal.
- 3 Red Bell Peppers
- 3 Sweet Onions
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 5 links Italian Chicken Sausage
- 5 Whole Wheat Hoagie Buns
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange the peppers and onions into a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Arrange sausages on sheet pan.
- Roast for 15 minutes, flip sausages and toss veggies, roast an additional 15 minutes.
- ASSEMBLY: Slice hoagies, place cooked sausage link, top with peppers and onions. OPTIONAL: add some shredded mozzarella and pop the sandwich back into warm oven until cheese is warm and bubbly.
- Red bell peppers ore on the EWG’s dirty dozen list, buy organic when possible.
- Make sure hoagies are 100% whole wheat, the label whole wheat is not meaningful.
- Mozzarella should be purchased in block form to avoid nasty additives that are used to keep pre-shredded cheese from sticking together. Buy organic when possible.
- Too much bread for you in this recipe? The peppers and onions are delicious sans hoagie bun, or on top of a sweet potato or salad!
- Looking for more simple whole food dinner ideas? Check out Simply Sissom’s Main Meals Board on Pinterest. If you like what you see, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- Interested in simple meal prep ideas and being the first to know about new recipes? Follow Simply Sissom on Instagram!
- If you make this recipe, let me know what you think! Leave a comment here on the blog and rate it or snap a pic #simplysissom on Instagram or Twitter! Your comments and feedback make my day:)
More Simple Supper Ideas:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!