Hello morning goodness!
Let me rephrase that – hello morning goodness that comes together with only 5 simple (as in no grocery store necessary) ingredients! Anything that tastes good and doesn’t require lugging 2
crazy enthusiastic boys into the grocery store in mid-january (think socks, mittens, jackets, hats) works for me.
Fact: I hate Winter. God most definitely intended for me to live in Florida. Something has gone terribly awry in my life plan. If you live in an area where 1-3″ of snow is not blizzard status.. forgive me. God also graced me with a flair for the dramatic.
Lemon and Honey Ricotta Toast. It’s just all too easy and wonderful.. and of course, fancy!!
As of late, I have been all about some toast (possible side effect from years of carb deprivation). Bread gets a bad wrap. As long as you are making toast that is 100% whole grain, there are multiple health benefits to partaking (think fiber and plant based protein). Aaaanndd… ricotta is no nutritional slouch..benefits include calcium and protein.
All talks of healthiness aside, lets just be serious for just a minute.. you can’t beat the warm, fancy, crunchy experience. You need this in your life.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: You can make the lemon and honey ricotta spread ahead of time and store it in an air tight container in your refrigerator. All that’s left to do in the morning is pop some bread in the toaster and smear on your ricotta topping. The ricotta mixture will last in your refrigerator until for up to 5 days (assuming your ricotta doesn’t expire within that time period).
Lemon and Honey Ricotta Toast
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 1 min
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 1/2 cup ricotta spread
- 1/2 cup of ricotta
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 squeeze of lemon
- 100% whole wheat bread, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, honey, and lemon. Stir to combine.
- Toast bread.
- Cover toasted bread with desired amount of the ricotta mixture. If desired top with bananas,basil, spinach,cinnamon, or other toppings of your choice.
- Make sure to purchase bread that is 100% whole grain. This is different from a label that says “whole grain.”
- Bread is infamous for having funky ingredients. Check the label. There should not be any ingredient listed that you can’t purchase at the store. If you have a Great Harvest Bread Company in your area their honey wheat variety fits the bill perfectly. “Ezekiel” brand also makes a real food bread. It is located in the freezer aisle of most grocery stores.
- Honey should be local and organic if possible.
- Use Lemon and Honey Ricotta spread as the base and get fancy with your toast. Top it with berries, spinach, basil, cinnamon, bananas, etc. Nothing wrong with fork-needed type situation!
You can also check out Simply Sissom’s Pinterest Board, Breakfast. If you like what you see follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers and sites from around the web.
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!