This Thick and Chunky Vegetable Soup is the perfect healthy lunch on a chilly Fall day. Fresh veggies, an assortment of spices, garlic, and chicken broth come together to create a soup that is nutrient dense and satisfyingly filling.
There is something about the weather turning cooler and the leaves beginning to change that gives me an unexplainable desire to bake. If my personality wasn’t such that I’m either “all in” or “all out,” this may not present such a problem, buuuuuut the combination of my go-big-or-go-home attitude and running a food blog (aka, each recipe was made no less than 3x), well… let’s just say I have eaten more than my fair share of All. Things. Baked. Pumpkin.
In short, I need a little healthy in my life. No, not just need… CRAVE.
Soooo., yesterday I spent the afternoon whipping up this Thick and Chunky Vegetable Soup. I went for the double-batch (1/2 for dinner this week and 1/2 for the freezer). After all, I’ve got a lot of Chunky Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins to make up for!
Soup is one of my favorite go-to things when cold weather hits. It’s warm, hearty, and comforting all while packing a serious nutritional punch. And while the whole “good-for-you” thing is a bonus, the real reasons that I get a little obsessed… 1-pot, make-ahead friendly, does great in the freezer, and most importantly… it couldn’t be easier to whip up!
This soup is customizable. Don’t like black beans, skip them. Have a husband who would scoff at the idea of meat-less Monday, add some ground beef or chicken. One of my favorite variations (particularly in the Fall) is butternut squash in place of the sweet potatoes. In short, use what you have, clean out that crisper drawer and DON”T stress about the specifics.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks
Prep: Cut the veggies ahead of time. Once this recipe gets going it moves fast! You can prepare the vegetables 2-3 days before you are ready to make the soup and store them in the refrigerator in a ziplock bag. You can also pre-mix all the spices. The recipe makes WAY more spice blend than you need. Store the extras in a spice jar and use it next time you make soup or use it as a dry rub on a roasted chicken (both are delicious).
Make Ahead: The soup only gets better after sitting in the refrigerator for a day or two. I usually make a big pot on Monday and eat it for lunch throughout the week. It’s nice to have a healthy option that doesn’t require me to do anything other than warm it up.
Freezer: Feeling really on top of it? Double the recipe (I usually use 2 separate pots and cook them side by side, we are talking about a LOT of soup) and freeze half for later. I have used smaller ziplock bags to freeze individual portions and larger bags to freeze family size amounts. Both work fine. When you are ready to eat your soup, Just pull it from the freezer and warm in a pot on the stove.Print
Thick and Chunky Vegetable Soup
- 1 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 bell pepper (any color is fine)
- 2 cups of sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped into half moons
- 1 28 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 TBS of my vegetable soup spice blend (recipe below in notes)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Bay leaf
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed (skip if doing Whole-30)
- 4 cups of chicken broth (Vegan- use vegetable broth)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, bell pepper, sweet potato, zucchini, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and vegetable soup spice blend. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Add bay leaf.
- Allow soup to simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in spinach and beans. When the spinach is wilted, season with salt and pepper and remove bay leaf. Serve immediately.
Soup Spice Blend:
Recipe makes enough spice to make this soup recipe about 6 times. DO NOT pour the whole spice blend into the soup! Just add 1 TBS and store the rest?.
- 2 TBS of smoked paprika
- 1 TBS garlic powder
- 1 TBS dried oregano
- 1 TBS onion powder
- 1 TBS dried basil
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp fine-grain sea salt
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- If you follow a vegan diet, sub vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- For Whole 30, you will need to skip the black beans.
- Homemade chicken broth is SO easy to make and allows you to control the quality and quantity of the ingredients. Here is a recipe from Lisa at 100 days of Real Food for a crockpot version.
- Prep-Ahead recipes are my all time favorite! Join the BRAND NEW Simply Sissom Community Private FB Group and let’s meal prep together! Each week I share an exclusive recipe in the group via FB Live that is REALLY simple and make-ahead friendly. Join us!
- Want to prep 5 whole-food meals for a family of 4 in just 45 minutes? Check out my new program, Savvy Mama Meal Prep: Quick and Easy. Use code SMMP50 to save 50%.
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
If you give this Loaded Vegetable Soup a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it, and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #simplysissom on Instagram so I can see! Your photos make my day!
Posts Like Thick and Chunky Vegetable Soup:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!