Throw it all together and call it dinner? Don’t mind if I do.
You know the kinda recipe… can I even call it that? Eh… who cares!
You get to choose it all. Your favorite veggies, type of meat, rice or noodles… it’s like your own personal Chinese buffet. The concept is simple: chop up the veggies you like (I used broccoli, zucchini, bell pepper, carrots, purple cabbage, and bean sprouts), add some protein, whip up this delicious Ginger Garlic Asian Sauce and throw it all together! The combination of colors and textures and flavors is AMAZING. Plus.. the healthiness. Plus… the leftovers.
Prep: This recipe is perfect for prepping ahead! There is a lot of chopping involved. Go ahead and get it over with. The sauce can also be made ahead of time and kept refrigerated for up to 3 days. Feeling really ambitious… go ahead and chop your chicken into 1 inch chunks. When it’s meal time, the only thing left to do will be to throw it all in the skillet!
Freezer: Make a stir-fry kit. Chop the veggies, cut the chicken, and make the sauce. Place each in an individual airtight labeled Ziplock bag. Place 3 individual bags into a larger one so that they don’t get separated. Frozen stir fry kit done!
- Remove from freezer. Place ziplock bag containing sauce into a bowl of hot water to thaw. Follow regular cooking instructions, but be aware you may have to add a few extra minutes.
Below is the recipe that I used to make the stir-fry that is pictured. Rainbow stir-fry is really more of an idea than a recipe. Use whatever veggies and protein that you enjoy and have on hand.Print
Rainbow Stir Fry
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb chicken breast, 1 inch cubes
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/2 small purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3-4 TBS olive oil
- 5 TBS liquid aminos
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 TBS Arrowroot powder
- 2 Tsp chilli paste
- *** brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat pasta (optional)
- CHICKEN: Heat 1 TBS olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place cubed chicken into skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Allow chicken to cook until golden brown. Use tongs to flip chicken. Continue to cook until chicken is no longer translucent in the middle. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- VEGGIES: Heat 1-2 TBS of olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add veggies. Stir frequently. Cook until veggies reach desired level of tenderness. About 10 minutes.
- SAUCE: In a small bowl, combine liquid amino, honey, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, arrow root and chill paste. Stir until fully combined.
- PUT IT TOGETHER: Add cooked chicken, veggies, and half of the sauce into the large skillet or wok. Stir to combine. Serve immediately over brown rice, quinoa, or whole wheat noodles. Enjoy!
- ***NOTE: The sauce is strong. It is easier to add more than to remove it! I served the remaining half of the sauce in a small bowl at the table. This allowed us to customize the stir fry to our personal taste!
- Liquid Aminos are getting easier to find! They are a soy sauce replacement and can be found in most grocery stores. They are usually located by the soy sauce in the Asian aisle.
- Arrowroot powder is a tasteless thickening agent. It can be found in the spice aisle.
- Be careful when selecting your chill paste. Look for a brand that has 5 ingredients or less.
- This recipe contains some weird ingredients and can be a little expensive the first time that you make it. Just remember… you will be able to make A LOT of stir-fry before you have to buy additional ingredients for the sauce.
- Want to save time? Buy pre-minced garlic and grated-ginger. It won’t taste quite as fresh, but this sauce has so many things going on that you won’t even notice.
- Want to make this recipe Vegan? Just don’t add the chicken!
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!