Sausage and Veggie Quiche with Gluten-Free Almond Meal Crust is ??‼️ Spicy homemade turkey sausage, cherry tomatoes, fresh zucchini, red-bell peppers and caramelized onions unite with a flaky Sage and Garlic herbed almond meal crust to create breakfast perfection.
Almond Meal Crust? Have you ever heard of such a thing?
This will change your life. Crust… with high nutritional value? Think pizza, pies, homemade pop-tarts… you get the idea.
I don’t know whether to focus on the fact that it’s low-carb, high-protein, grain-free or gluten free so I’m gonna go with all of the above, you know, options.
This quiche is simple enough to make for a casual Saturday morning breakfast with the fam, but also fancy enough to prepare for someone that you want to dazzle with your stellar culinary skills. Even if you have never attempted quiche, YOU CAN DO THIS, I have full faith!
For starteres, the crust is made from only 7 ingredients! And the filling is loaded with simple stuff like sautéed veggies (whatever you have on hand will work), and a mixture of spicy homemade turkey sausage, cheese, milk, and eggs.
Can you believe that ^^ crust is made from almond meal? Once mixed with a little olive oil and baking powder it is seasoned up with some garlic and sage, aaannnnddd then…. MAGIC⚡️!!! For those negative nancy’s out there saying, “yeah, but is it gross?” I say, (Joe,) it tastes DELICIOUS! Seriously.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: The crust can be prepared and pre-baked ahead of time. Store it in the refrigerator, covered in plastic wrap. It will keep for 1-2 days without any problem. You can also pre-chop the veggies, prepare the turkey sausage, and pre-mix the eggs/milk/salt/and pepper (store in a covered bowl in the fridge).
Make Ahead: This quiche tastes great re-heated. Buuuttt… Not as magical as when it originally comes out of the oven. If you are serving to someone you want to dazzle with your stellar cooking skills, serve it hot and fresh!
Freezer: You can pre-make the crusts and freeze them! Press the almond meal mixture into a disposable pie pan and shape as desired. Gently press a piece of plastic wrap onto the surface of the crust. Cover the entire pie pan with an additional sheet of plastic wrap. Store in the freezer until needed. (Do not bake prior to freezing).
- 1½ cups almond meal
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 TBS + 1 tsp of water
- 1 TBS of sage, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ lbs. homemade turkey sausage, prepared (link to recipe below)
- 2 TBS butter
- 2 cups veggies, chopped (I used tomatoes, zucchini, and red pepper)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup, baby spinach leaves
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of milk
- 1½ cups of swiss cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- CRUST: In a medium bowl, combine almond meal, salt, baking soda, olive oil, water, sage, and garlic. Mix to combine. Press prepared dough into a 9 inch pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the crust begins to turn golden brown, do not over cook. Remove from oven and set aside.
- VEGGIES: In a medium skillet, heat 2 TBS butter. Saute tomatoes, zucchini, red pepper, and onion until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Add spinach. Continue cooking until spinach is wilted.
- EGGS: In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, cheese, salt, and pepper. Whisk. Add veggies and sausage. Stir to combine.
- ASSEMBLEY: Pour egg/veggie/sausage mixture into partially baked crust. Cover loosely with foil (to prevent crust from burning). Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the eggs are completely set. Make sure to check frequently to avoid over cooking.
- You can make your own almond meal/flour with a food processor. Simply pulse whole almonds until they are desired texture.
- Homemade Turkey Sausage Recipe. If you are not up to making your own sausage (but it’s really easy!) you can use store bought. I recommend buying high quality organic meat to help avoid unnecessary additives.
- I used a mandolin to chop my onions finely. It worked perfectly!
- I used whole milk, but I feel confident that you could make this recipe with almond milk if you prefer. If you try it.. leave a comment below and let me know how it works out!
Other Breakfast Recipes You Might Like:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!