Crunchy whole wheat crust, fresh basil pesto, spicy Italian sausage, melty mozzarella, tangy artichokes and farm fresh eggs combine to make a delicious gourmet pizza that comes together in under 30 minutes!
My latest impulse creation? Sausage, egg and pesto pizza.
Eggs on pizza? Yep, it’s a thing!
I know, you are probably frowning at the screen right now.
But after making 3 variations of this pizza, I did my research. Eggs are necessary. Just trust.
This recipe could not be simpler. Not only is it easy, it is incredibly flavorful. It is perfect for those “I’m-starving- and- must- eat- now!” moments. 7 ingredients, 5 minutes prep, 15 minutes bake time. DONE.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: Pizza can be assembled 1-2 days in advance. Follow recipe instructions, but don’t bake. Instead, wrap pizza in clear wrap and store in the fridge until ready to bake!
Make Ahead: Ok, maybe it’s just me, but cold pizza.. yes please! Not into that? You may want to skip the make-ahead option this time.
Frozen: I like to double this recipe and use 1 pizza for dinner and freeze the other. You already have all the ingredients out, may as well make an extra! Follow recipe instructions (omit eggs), but don’t bake. Instead, wrap pizza in clear wrap and store in the freezer until ready to bake. I lower the oven temperature to 400 degrees and cook the pizza longer than the recipe suggests. I also wait about 5 minutes to add the eggs so that the pizza has a chance to warm up a bit.Print
Sausage, Egg and Pesto Pizza
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 1 pizza
- 1 pre-made whole wheat thin pizza crust
- 1 cup basil pesto (you can use jarred)
- 2 Italian sausage links, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 can quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tomato, thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- Heat oven to 500 degrees. Spread pesto onto pizza crust. Arrange sausage and artichokes on crust. Sprinkle with cheese. Arrange sliced tomatoes on cheese. Dig 3 small “wells” into the cheese and add an egg to each. Bake pizza for 10=15 minutes, or until cheese is brown and bubbly and eggs are cooked. Enjoy!!!
- Shopping for eggs can be confusing. You should buy locally from someone who you can ask questions and shake hands with. If you buy at the grocery, look for organic pasture raised eggs. Check out my post/recipe Italian Egg Cups to learn more about choosing what type of eggs to buy!
- I found my whole wheat pizza crust at Whole Foods. Lavash bread would work as well!
- Recipe for Basil Pesto.
- Cheese should be organic and purchased in block form when possible. Cheese that is pre-shredded contains additives that prevent it from clumping.
- I use Applegate Organics chicken sausage.
Interested in Prepping Healthy Meals? Follow Simply Sissom on Instagram for pics (see below) with recipes, and tips!
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!