Ok, let’s get the obvious out of the way. This is not “real” ceviche. I cooked the shrimp. On the stove. Ceviche is a method of “cooking” seafood by letting it marinate in citrus juices. I am just not ready for cooking my raw fish in citrus juice. I’m clearly a culinary weenie.
Semantics aside, this shrimp ceviche is delicious and so easy to put together. It’s the perfect Summer appetizer. Simple and impressive.
The combination of zesty lime juice, fresh cilantro, crunchy veggies, and tender shrimp come together to make a dish that is bursting with flavor. Best part, it’s SOOOO healthy!!!! I skipped the chips and ate it straight from the bowl. I think it would also be great in a whole wheat wrap topped with some guacamole.
Seafood haters- I know who you are. Give this a chance. You won’t be sorry!
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 tomato
- 1 jalepeno, diced (optional)
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Bring a medium salted pot of water to a boil. Add shrimp and turn off heat. Allow shrimp to cook in water for 2-3 minutes or until no longer translucent. Remove shrimp from water.
- In a shallow baking dish, combine shrimp, lime juice, and onions. Allow to marinade in the refrigerator for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from lime juice marinade and chop into bite size pieces. In a clean bowl combine marinated onions and shrimp, cucumber, avocado, tomato, jalepeno, and cilantro. Stir to combine. Allow flavors to meld for 10 minutes prior to serving.
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!