Freezer-Friendly Thick n’ Chunky Marinara Sauce. This basic recipe will become your new favorite addition to any Italian meal (and it can be made ahead).
Whelp, we made it through the first week back to school ! And total honesty… I’m loving the whole “routine thing.”
I wish that I was a chill, go-with-flow-kinda girl, but the truth is, I’m a planner, so having a set schedule is right up my alley.
This year is also the first time that Campbell is attending full day preschool (2 days per week), so the laundry is caught up, food for the week is prepped and shockingly.. the house is clean (even the closets and drawers). It’s been years you guys.. years. After spending no less than 20 hours making all that happen you can imagine that I’m a little protective of my work (i.e. I’m driving my family nuts).
They really don’t have much need to worry though.. my whole “totally-on-top-of-life” status won’t last. It never does. We will move into Fall and then Winter and slowly but steadily, the laundry will pile up, the drawers will fill with clutter and the closets will be crammed with who knows what. Next August, we’ll so the whole de-clutter thing again.
I’m definitely an extremist, always have been. So, when I’m feeling productive I try to take advantage of it, because there is no doubt.. it will end. One of my favorite ways to channel my new found productivity is stocking the freezer. This way, when this “back-to-school-energy” thing fades, I’ve got some healthy whole-food lunchbox and dinner options to help get me through periods where I’m, well… less motivated.
This Freezer-Friendly Thick n’ Chunky Marinara Sauce was yesterday’s project. I use the term “project” loosely because it’s REALLY REALLY easy to make. I quadrupled the recipe (because I’m extreme). We ate 1/4 of it last night with spaghetti and meatballs. I saved 1/4 of it in a mason jar that I am storing in the refrigerator for a pizza that I’m making on Friday. Aaaannnnd I froze the last 1/2 so that some week in the near future I can bust it out and repeat this plan without having to exert any effort. It’s all about efficient laziness. HINT: If you give this plan a try.. double the meatballs too, they are freezer safe as well!
This marinara sauce checks all the boxes… vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free, Whole-30. Olive oil, garlic, onion, basil (fresh if you can find it), diced tomatoes, tomato paste and some good ol’ Italian spices. You’re gonna love it! Hint.. the red pepper flakes give it a very slight “kick”.. if you’re not into that.. skip it!
Time Saving Tips and Tricks
Prep: There really isn’t much reason to prep, the recipe is quick and easy.
Make Ahead: Yep! I like to make a large batch and use it to top All. The. Things. It can be stored in a mason jar or other airtight container for up to 5 days (conservatively).
Freezer: That’s the idea! This Thick n’ Chunky marinara is perfect for freezing. Just store it in an airtight Ziplock bag. I like to make sure and freeze the sauce flat so that it takes up less room in the refrigerator. Make sure to label and date the bag so you can keep up with how long it’s been hanging in the freezer.Print
Freezer-Friendly Thick n’ Chunky Marinara Sauce
Simple Freezer-Friendly Marinara Sauce. This basic recipe will become your new favorite addition to any Italian meal (and it can be made ahead).
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 TBS tomato paste
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, stir to combine. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the basil, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, oregano thyme and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator or freezer as described in the Time Saving Tips and Tricks Section.
Let’s Be Friends:
- Prep-Ahead recipes are my all time favorite! Join the BRAND NEW Simply Sissom Community Private FB Group and let’s meal prep together! Each week I share an exclusive recipe in the group via FB Live that is REALLY simple and make-ahead friendly. Join us!
- Want to prep 5 whole-food meals for a family of 4 in just 45 minutes? Check out my new program, Savvy Mama Meal Prep: Quick and Easy.
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
Posts like Simple Freezer-Friendly Marinara Sauce:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!