In a nutshell, spend 90 minutes prepping on Sunday afternoon (or whatever time is convenient for you) prepping and 15-20 minutes/night cooking and you can feed your family of 4 whole-food breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Sound to good to be true.. well, maybe a little. Making this plan work requires a little repetition on the meal calendar. My theory, doubling the recipe (and eating it twice) means half the time in the kitchen. Aaannndd… anybody in the fam that complains, well, I’d be all to happy to let them take over dinner planning and prep?.
Each week I plan 1 breakfast item (to be eaten daily), 2 lunch options (which will be alternated), and 3 whole-food family dinners (served 2x each).
I should probably note that my whole family doesn’t eat the lunches that I prepare daily. Most days Joe eats at the hospital and Campbell (my 2 year old) usually chooses to forego my culinary skills for “simpler” options.. aka cheese and chicken. If you have a family of 4, and anticipate that EVERYONE will eat the lunches you prepare daily, you should double the lunch recipes. (NOTE: the grocery list provided does not account for doubling lunch recipes. You will need to add the extra ingredients to the list. It DOES account for doubling the breakfast and dinner recipes).
Summary: Double the dinner recipes (they will be served 2 nights throughout the week). Double the breakfast cookie recipe. Do not double the lunch recipes.
- White Bean Turkey Chili
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with ALL THE THINGS
- 5 sweet potatoes
- 1 jar salsa (2 if you like to lay it on thick)
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken, organic recommended
- POTATOES: Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking dish with foil.Pierce potatoes with a sharp knife (all over.. get out that aggression!). Roast potatoes for 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Flip. Continue roasting for an additional 30 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Remove skins. Slice into medallions, about 1 " thick.
- THE FIXINS: While potatoes are roasting, shed rotisserie chicken and rinse black beans. Set aside.
- ASSEMBLY: Get 5 small containers with lids. In each container, place ⅕ of the sweet potato medallions. Top with shredded chicken, black beans, and salsa. Store in refrigerator. 5 lunches... all prepped!
90 Minute Prep Guide:
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes (DO NOT DOUBLE RECIPE): Get the potatoes roasting first thing. See directions above. While potatoes roast, prep the chicken and beans and then move on to the peanut butter breakfast cookies until potatoes are done.
- Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies (DOUBLE RECIPE): Follow recipe directions. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container or bag.
- BBQ Burger Stuffed Bell Peppers (DOUBLE RECIPE): These peppers are the perfect prep food. Follow the recipe as written all the way to step 4… but DON”T BAKE! Instead, cover the baking tray with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. When you’re ready, remove the plastic wrap and pop the tray into the oven according to recipe directions. They may need to bake closer to 25 minutes since they aren’t starting out at room temp. Keep and eye on em!
- White Bean Turkey Chili (DO NOT DOUBLE RECIPE) Follow recipe directions.
- Sausage, Egg, and Pesto Pizza (DOUBLE RECIPE): Follow recipe instructions, but don’t bake. Instead, wrap pizza in clear wrap and store in the fridge until needed.
- Chicken Fried Cauliflower Rice (DOUBLE RECIPE): If you didn’t buy your cauliflower “pre-riced” now is the time to do it. Cut and prep veggies and make the Asian sauce. You will make this recipe fresh each time. It comes together quickly. Just make sure to reserve half of the ingredients for the second night you serve this meal.
The Grocery List:
Just click on the image below to have the grocery list sent straight to your inbox!
Let’s Be Friends:
If you are looking for more meal prepping advice, tips, tricks and recipes follow Simply Sissom on Instagram for #mealprepmonday. Just looking for healthy whole food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers and sites from around the web.
Other Posts Like This One:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!