One bite and I knew… this recipe is a game changer.
You guys know the deal.. I have a thing for secretly healthy things that don’t seem healthy. Aaaannndddd so, I most definitely did make pizza crust out of cauliflower. With cauliflower, as in that bland white vegetable.
Yep, I did that. Yep, I know I’m not the first person. But .. Mind. Blown.
Just stop for a second and think about this: you, sitting on the couch, wrapped in a snuggly blanket, binge watching HOW TO MAKE A MURDERER (because isn’t everyone), with a slice of of crispy thin crust pizza topped with an assortment of all your favorite things. This is the scenario that my post kids-in-bed dreams are made of ?.
Based on my excitement level for this pizza crust I’m sure you assume that it is a super difficult recipe that only a culinary genius could successfully pull off.. not the case.
Chop some cauliflower, process it A LOT (until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes, strain out the water with a cheese cloth or milk bag (super important or your pizza will be soggy), mix in a few ingredients, form the dough into a circle. DONE. I even made a visual.. it’s the teacher in me?.
I’m going to level with you, because, that’s the kind of friends that we are. You are not going to bite into this pizza and think wow.. “this tastes just like “regular” pizza crust. Manage your expectations, it’s CAULIFLOWER. Aaannnddd… this pizza is more of a fork type situation, the texture doesn’t get as crispy as pizza made with flour based dough. Sooo, don’t go all gang buster (<– sorry) with the toppings. I like to spread a layer of pesto, top with shredded chicken, caramelized omions, a few dollops of mozzarella (the real stuff). Since the crust already has cheese mixed in, you can go easy with it as a topping. Pop the pizza under the broiler for about 5 minutes aaannnddd DONE.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: You can definitely do steps 1-3 several hours before making the actual recipe. It will actually allow the cauliflower dry out a bit.. definite positive.
Make Ahead: This crust can be made ahead of time. Complete all 6 steps, bake, and allow the crust to cool. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Freezer: Yes! Best part! Complete all 6 steps, bake, allow crust to cool on baking sheet. Place baking sheet into the freezer for 1-2 hours or until the crust is completely frozen through. Wrap in plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 1 head of cauliflower, trimmed and roughly chopped
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 400. Place a piece of parchment paper over a baking tray or pizza stone. Spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray (don't over do it).
- Place prepared cauliflower in food processor. Pulse until cauliflower is the consistency of mashed potatoes. You may have to scrape the sides occasionally to ensure that all the cauliflower fully incorporates.
- Placed processed cauliflower into a milk bag (you could also use a cheese cloth). Squeeze out excess water. This is an important step.. if you don't get the water out you will get a soggy crust.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cauliflower, mozzarella, parmesan, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and eggs. Stir to combine.
- Place "dough" onto prepared baking sheet or pizza stone.Use hands to form pizza "dough" into a circular shape (about ¼" thick).
- Bake for 3-=35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In case you are wondering what a nut milk bag is and where in the world you find one… CLICK HERE ?.
- If you don’t have a food processor I suspect that a high speed blender would do the trick. Disclaimer.. I haven’t tried it!
- MAKE SURE TO SQUEEZE THE WATER OUT OF YOUR CAULIFLOWER or you will have a mushy mess.
Looking for more healthy recipes? Check out Simply Sissom’s Pinterest page for tons of clean eating recipes from my favorite bloggers and sites from around the web. New pins are added daily!
As always, if you are interested in learning more about meal prepping, follow Simply Sissom on Instagram for #MealPrepMonday. 9 recipes prepped in 90 minutes.. recipes included! Below is an image of Monday’s Instagram feed. The green smoothie packs (#8) are already gone at my house!
More Recipes You Might Like:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!