Simple, 30-minute Whole Grain Chicken Noodle Soup -it’s a simple, healthy, back-to-basics meal.
It’s almost that time of year when I start dressing myself in cozy oversized sweaters, scarves and 2-3 pairs of thick wooly socks depending on how much clean laundry is available (and that’s just when I’m inside). I abandon smoothies for All. The. Coffee. and trade in my daily salad for warm cozy bowls of soup. Since this blog is highly affected by my whims and desires, I have the perfect simple, fall appropriate recipe for you.
Whole Grain Chicken Noodle soup, and not the kind that comes from a can! Your mama’s gonna be so proud.
This recipe is for you, hungry reader who’s life is completely nuts right now, who has a hard time finding the time to cook even though you LOVE the concept of homemade meals and family dinners, the one who opens the fridge each morning praying to find a healthy grab n’ go type situation to pack in everyones lunches only to find NOTHING.
I get you, because I am you.
This soup is FLEXIBLE.. do your chopping early in the day. Bake the chicken while the kids are napping. Or.. prep everything the night before. Then.. when you are good and ready, head into the kitchen and calmly throw the prepped ingredients into the pot, turn up the heat and soak up all the delicious smells and the feelings of domestic domination (<– too much??).
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: Celery, onion, carrots, garlic and chicken breast can be prepped ahead of time making throwing this soup together really simple. To prep chicken breast, coat 2-3 chicken breasts (depending on size) with a thin layer of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350 until chicken is cooked through, about 30-35 minutes. Or… use a rotisserie chicken!
Make Ahead: This soup is a perfect make ahead meal. In fact, I think it tastes even better after a day or 2 when the flavors have had the chance to hang out, mingle and get acquainted with one another 😜.
Freezer: This is a perfect recipe to double. Personally I could eat chili every night of the week, but around the 3rd time in a row that I serve it for dinner I get accused of getting lazy. Freeze half the batch in a freezer safe container, pull it out later, and be SNEAKY lazy:)
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 large or 2 small cloves of garlic
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat noodles (uncooked)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, add butter and garlic. Stir frequently until butter is melted and garlic becomes fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add celery and onion. Continue cooking until onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- To the pot, add chicken broth, chicken, noodles, carrots, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make sure that your noodles specific that they are 100% whole wheat. Without the 100%.. you have no idea how much of the noodle is actually made from whole grain. Sketchy right???? I used Barilla 100% Whole Grain Elbow Macaroni.
- I always recommend making your own chicken broth/stock. It gives you control of the quantity and quality of ingredients included. Making your own is fairly simple. I love this recipe for Crockpot Chicken Stock from 100 Days of Real Food.
- I like using a rotisserie chicken for this recipe. It’s easy, tender and super moist!
- Looking for more simple whole-food meals? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! I add new pins from my favorite bloggers around the web daily.
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook . Check it out, if you like what you see.. follow.
Recipes Like Whole Grain Chicken Noodle Soup:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!