Pin these Healthy Whole-Food Lunch Ideas for later!
Friends. It's groundhog day around here (think Movie, not holiday).
Today is a HAPPY day!! Again. And once again, this Happy day involves a convenient, easy to pack versatile (and adorable) lunch box.
That you could WIN.
Annnd, as before.. I'm going to level with you...I DON"T like packing school lunches.
We are officially "7 packed lunches" and "7 packed breakfasts" into the new school year and if I were to be totally candid with you, which is the plan.. I'm over it. Unfortunately, according to my mathematic calculations, I still have to pack 170 lunches + 170 breakfasts for a grand total of 340 meals. Face in palm (again).
Yep, a little more inspiration in the lunch box arena definitely seems necessary.
Variety, ugh. It's undeniably the very worst thing about packing lunches. But down in our deepest parts, we all know that putting some jelly on a sandwich doesn't REALLY count as a fruit and that Ranch dressing probably shouldn't be considered a dairy serving?.
I bought 2 lunch boxes for Cooper this year, the first A YUMBOX and the second, a Bentology Bento Kit. The kit came with an insulated bag (LOTS of cute patterns to pick from), 5 containers, 3 lids and utensils (which Cooper finds strangely exciting - you would think we didn't have spoons). We LOVE it.
NOTE: I was not compensated to write this post. I tried Bentology. I loved it. I reached out to them to see if they would be willing to provide a Bento Kit for a GIVEAWAY.. they said YES!!!)
Why Bentology Is Great:
- Encourages healthy eating and portion control.
- VARIETY.. my favorite thing about this lunch box system. You can configure the boxes LOTS of different ways. It holds everything.
- No plastic baggies needed (which is great cause we are always out). Added bonus.. it's better for the earth!
- Secure lids ensure that messy food stays put.
Bentology Inspired Video:
Note: For specific recipes and details about each box shown, keep scrolling down the post?.
Get the details on each box OR.. Scroll to the bottom of the post to enter the giveaway!!
Quesadilla Kabob Box:
- Cubed chicken, cherry tomatos, Vermont white cheddar cheese and whole wheat tortilla on a stick.. what could be better? Ingredient Notes: meat, dairy and tomatoes are all worth the splurge to purchase organic. Meat and cheese cannot be washed like some produce and tomatoes are VERY high on the EWG's dirty dozen list)
- Avocado is #1 on the EWG's "clean 15" list. Don't waste your money purchasing organic.
- Pineapple Purchase frozen, pop it in the lunch box and it will be perfectly thawed when it's time to eat. Because seriously.. who wants to cut that up? No need to go organic.. pineapple is also on the "Clean 15" list.
- Salsa can be a little tricky. Make sure to check the ingredient list. You should be able to pronounce Every. Single. One. I find that in most cases salsa that needs to be refrigerated contains less additives.
Buffalo Chicken Wrap:
- Buffalo Chicken Wrap: Crockpot buffalo chicken is my new OBSESSION. It's SO. Easy. Get the recipe HERE. (Note: link not available until August 23rd). To assemble, lay a whole-wheat tortilla flat and top with mozzarella cheese, lettuce and buffalo chicken. Serve cold.
- Carrots, Celery and Red Peppers: My guys don't like it, but feel free to add a little blue cheese or Ranch dressing.
- Popcorn: Make sure to check the ingredient list, some popcorn has some funky ingredients, tons of salt or even sugar. I use Skinny Pop brand. It's delicious and made from real food ingredients.
- Peaches: #4 on the EWG's dirty dozen list. Organic is worth the splurge on these guys.
Pita Dip Box:
- Chicken Salad: Get the recipe HERE. Ingredient Notes: Chicken should be purchased organic when possible.
- Black Berries: Blackberries aren't listed on the dirty dozen, go ahead and purchase conventional.
- Cucumbers: Cucumbers are a member of the the dirty dozen list, purchase organic when possible.
- Hummus: You can make your own with THIS recipe OR you can purchase store-bought. Just make sure to check the label for funky ingredients.
- Pita: I have found Trader Joe's to be the best place to purchase homemade bread with a short ingredient list. This whole-wheat pita bread has 6-ingredients and Its. So. Good.
- Egg Cups: Get the recipe for these make-ahead freezer friendly guys HERE. Ingredient Notes: Farm fresh eggs are always best, but I get it.. not always possible. When purchasing eggs from the store go for organic pasture-raised eggs.
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Energy Balls: aka.. Cooper's favorite things in the world. These little guys are made from 4 ingredients and come together in about 5 minutes. Make-Aheaad and Freezer Friendly. Get the recipe HERE.
- Frozen Yogurt Cups: Best. Idea. Ever. Specific post coming to the blog soon, but here is the gist.. pour yogurt into silicone lined muffin pan. Add fruit to the top. Freeze. Place frozen "yogurt muffin" into your child's lunch box. When it's time to eat.. you have a ready made yogurt parfait!
- Strawberries: #1 on EWG's Dirty Dozen. Go organic when possible.
Back To Basics Box:
- PB and J on Whole Wheat Bread: Maybe a little boring. Unless.. you cut it into a a cute shape. I did it with THESE sandwich cutters. Ingredient Notes: Make sure that your bread says 100% whole grain or whole wheat. Peanut Butter should contain 1 ingredient, peanuts. For the jelly, check the ingredient list. Look for 100% fruit. I like it when it is sweetened with honey.
- Blueberries: Blueberries don't appear on the dirty dozen list. Purchasing conventional is No. Big. Deal.
- Sliced Veggies: There is no need to splurge on organic celery and carrots. Bell peppers, well, they should be organic.
- Apple Chips: You can make your own with THIS recipe OR you can go store-bought. I LOVE Bare Apple Chips. They contain only 2-3 whole-food ingredients (depending on flavor) and my kids LOVE them.
ENTER TO WIN A BENTOLOGY BENTO KIT
This Contest has ended.
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow?!!
Leave a Reply