“My attendance at the Blog Brûlée is/was partially funded by Sponsors of the Blog Brûlée, and I received a discounted registration to the event in exchange for writing this post. Opinions expressed are my own. I was not compensated for my time.”
Hi it's meeeeee. I'm just breaking my normal blogging schedule to pop in with the most exciting news. Simply Sissom (aka.. me) is traveling. To Vermont for Blog Brûlée 2016! As much as love hanging around the house in my yoga pants and mom bun, I'm getting all legit and hitting the road (ok, air) and heading off to my Very. First. Blogging. Retreat. You guys, I'm actually going to meet real life people who take as many pictures of food as I do!
On January 1, 2016 I made 2 goals for this little blog.
- Receive something food related in the mail. For free.
- Attend a conference/retreat where I could connect with other bloggers. You know, people who REALLY get just how time consuming, rewarding and difficult the blogging world can be.
Ambitious, I know ?.
In early Spring when I received a box containing oat samples of oat meal and a little email containing THIS. header... I could officially say ✅ and ✅ to my 2 my goals. Yep, March was a good month!
Buuuuut, September is going to blow March away!
In 3 short days... Vermont! Bring on the Fall temperatures, gorgeous scenery and maybe even a little treat from a couple of locals, Ben and Jerry! That's what you eat in Vermont, right?
Yes, I'm pretty pumped about the idea of flying All. By. Myself and having a weekend sans kiddos.? Buuut, with that said, I am giddy at the thought of spending a couple of days with a group of women who share my passion for healthy food and blogging. Here's a list of the 20+ bloggers that I get to spend some time with!
Brittany Poulson, MDA, RDN, CD, CDE ··· Your Choice Nutrition
Tawnie Kroll, RDN ··· Krolls Korner
Jodi Danen RD ··· The Average RD
Christy Brissette MS RD ··· 80 Twenty Nutrition-Healthy Eating Made Simple
Natalie Rizzo, MS, RD ··· Nutrition A La Natalie.com
Stephanie McKercher, MS, RDN ··· Grateful Grazer
Annemarie Rossi ··· Real Food Real Deals
Kristy Hegner, MPH, RD ··· Chocolate Slopes
Lauren Sharifi, RD LDN ··· Bite of Health Nutrition
Jessica DeGore RD LDN ··· Dietitian Jess
Rebecca Clyde RD, CD ··· Nourish Nutrition Co.
Kelli Shallal MPH, RD, CPT ··· Hungry Hobby
Amber Ketchum, MDS, RD ··· Homemade Nutrition
Dianna Sinni, RDN, LD ··· Chard In Charge
Rachel Norman, RDN ··· The Delicious Balance
Emily Cope-Kyle, MS, RDN ··· Emily Kyle Nutrition
Kristen Smith, MS, RDN, LD ··· 360 Family Nutrition
Blog Brûlée was was founded in 2014 by Regan Jones, RD; Gretchen Brown, RD; Deanna Segrave-Daly, RD; & Robin Plotkin, RD. These women are leaders in the healthy food blogging industry, so I can't even begin to imagine how beneficial my time in Vermont is going to be.
Here's what I'm hoping to take away:
- How to take PRETTY pictures with my iPhone. I confess, even Instagram shots on Simply Sissom are usually taken with my DSLR. What a time saver to take and edit photos on my phone.
- Live Streaming, you guys, I don't do this. I need to. I hope to learn more about the various platforms and to ease my nerves in regard to platforms like SnapChat, Instagram Stories and Periscope.
- Better Content Creation. Isn't this the the most important thing in blogging?
- Social Media. This is without question the area that I struggle with the most. I hope to gain some insight on how to build my social networks.
I also want to take a second and give a huge shoutout to the Blog Brûlée sponsors who are making this entire weekend possible!
No worries about a shortage of healthy whole-food recipes! I have been cooking and blogging away in preparation for my weekend away! Healthy Pumpkin Muffins and Kid-Friendly Popcorn Chicken coming at ya this week. Stay tuned?.