A new twist on a classic southern combination. Cheddar BBQ Shrimp and Grits with Garlicky Greens is simple to make, requiring just 25 minutes and basic pantry ingredients.
It's 3 weeks into Summer break here in Kentucky, warm weather is upon us! Almost, right??? It's rained daily for the past 2 weeks, the pool is freezing because temperatures have been dropping into the 50's on a regular basis and the boys, well.. the screen limits that we optimistically imposed upon them have long been abandoned.
We visited my Mom's house last week, she was making broccoli and cheddar soup for dinner. In JUNE. And, it was weather appropriate. I'm not kidding guys, it's been COLD. That said, I REFUSE to succumb to Winter weather meals. My refrigerator, well.. it's overflowing with fresh tomatoes, basil and all things Summertime.
In my opinion, nothing says Summer like shrimp on the BBQ. The combination of shrimp and grits, well.. would I even be southern if I didn't acknowledge the perfection? These days we need all the savory, seasonal dinners we can get and these BBQ Shrimp and Grits cannot be beat.
What are grits?
Grits are a Southern staple food made from ground dent corn. Dent corn is starchier and less sweet than sweet-corn. Grits have a very neutral flavor so are often flavored with savory ingredients like cheese, bacon and/or butter.
How do you make Cheddar BBQ Shrimp and Grits with garlicky greens?
- Get the grits cooking.
- Sautee up some greens w/ garlic and olive oil.
- Mix the shrimp with BBQ sauce and sear with a little butter.
- Put it all together and season with salt and pepper.
Frequently Asked Questions About Making Cheddar BBQ Shrimp and Grits with Garlicky Greens:
What substitutions can I make when preparing BBQ Shrimp and Grits?
This recipe is incredibly forgiving. There are endless substitutions and additions that you can make. Use the ingredients you like and skip on what you don’t.
- Grits: Although I HIGHLY recommend that you give grits a shot, mashed potatoes, cauliflower rice and polenta are all delicious substitutions for grits that work well with this recipe.
- Kale: I don’t always LOVE the taste of kale, you can definitely sub spinach, collard greens, or a greens blend for the kale that’s suggested in the recipe.
- Shrimp: Cooking with shrimp during the week is my favorite because it cooks quickly. That said, it can be pricey if you don’t purchase when on sale and isn’t always kid friendly. The shrimp can be replaced with the protein of your choice, I personally think that BBQ pork or chicken would be fantastic with the recipe!
What Type of BBQ Sauce do you recommend for this BBQ Shrimp and Grits recipe?
Obviously the best BBQ sauce is homemade, that said.. If you spend time making homemade sauce, this recipe quickly becomes time consuming and honestly, that’s just not the point of this recipe.
- Best Taste: Stubb’s: My favorite store-bought sauce when buying for taste (aka.. If company is coming) is Stubb’s. The ingredients aren’t organic, but there is nothing artificial in the bottle and the sugar content is very reasonable for BBQ sauce at 4g per serving.
- Best Healthy Pick: Best Bone Doctor’s Carolina Bold BBQ Sauce: This is an apple-cider vinegar based sauce that contains no tomato product. It’s low-calorie, low-sodium and low-sugar. The ingredient list contains only 8 ingredients and they are all recognizable. It’s not my favorite tasting BBQ, but it’s healthy and enjoyable and sometimes that’s good enough.
What would be a good side dish to serve with BBQ Shrimp and Grits?
Honestly, this recipe can be a 1-bowl situation. If you really want to add a side I would recommend a basic cole-slaw and some freshly sliced fruit to brighten the flavor profiles a bit.
Can BBQ Shrimp and Grits be made in advance?
I’m going to level with you, it tastes best fresh off the stove. That said.. I served the leftovers from this recipe to my family for lunch and didn’t get a single complaint. I did add a bit of milk to the grits to loosen them up a bit. You could also use chicken stock or even water.
A new twist on a classic southern combination, Cheddar BBQ Shrimp and Grits with Garlicky Greens is simple to make, requiring just 25 minutes and basic pantry ingredients. Perfect for a last-minute weeknight meal.
For the BBQ Shrimp:
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cub bbq sauce, divided
For the Grits:
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup quick cooking grits
- 2 Tbs. butter
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
For the Greens:
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
For the Grits: In a medium sauce pan, bring 4 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil. Slowly add grits. Stir constantly until mixture begins to boil. Reduce heat to low and continue stirring frequently until the water is absorbed and the mixture is thick. Stir in 2 Tbs. of butter and cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
For the Greens: While the grits are cooking, heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the greens and garlic and saute until softened. Remove kale and wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
For the Shrimp: In the same skillet, melt 1 Tbs of butter over medium-high heat. Toss shrimp with 2 Tbs. of bbq sauce and then arrange them into a single layer in the skillet. Cook 1 minute per side. Add the remaining bbq sauce to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to coat each shrimp in bbq sauce. Continue cooking for another minute OR until shrimp is no longer opaque. Remove shrimp to a small bowl and set aside.
Assembly: Divide the grits and greens evenly among 4 bowls. Top with equal amounts of shrimp and serve immediately.
Keywords: BBQ Shrimp and Grits, BBQ Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Let's Be Friends:
You can find Simply Sissom on Instagram where I share even more recipes (some that aren’t on the blog), behind the scenes pics and videos AND tips and tricks to make healthy eating realistic for your busy family.
Did you make this recipe? If you tried the recipe, I would love to see it and have you share! Tag me @simplysissom using the hashtag #simplysissom.
Recipes Like Cheddar BBQ Shrimp and Grits with Garlicky Greens: