Easy Instant Pot Turkey Chili is simple to make, requiring just 11 ingredients and 10 minutes hand on prep. All the taste of stove-top chili, but done in half the time.
Today it snowed. Apparently... Fall is over.
Flu season has officially started, and my family, well.. we opened our home and welcomed it in. Yep. ⅘ of us went down - with Joe being the lone survivor. All this to say, while it was my intention to post this recipe the week of Halloween with a recommendation to serve it up with a side of corn muffins during Trick or Treat, it wasn't meant to be. Chili + Stomach Bug = NOT A MATCH.
Lucky for me, chili isn't JUST meant for Fall. As we move into Winter, I find myself eating less and less of my go-to lunch salads and craving warm, comforting soups, stews and chilis instead. This quick and easy turkey chili has been been on regular rotation for years, but cooking it in the Instant Pot, well.. that's new (also fantastic). The recipe is mostly the same as the original, although I did add some broth/stock to ensure that the Instant Pot had enough liquid to come to pressure and that the dreaded BURN message was avoided.
The entire recipe requires about 10 minutes prep and if you work efficiently, can be on the table in about 30 minutes. Make it ahead and let it hang out in the fridge, freeze it for a night when you don't have time to make dinner or eat it straight from the pot. It's versatile, stupid easy AND most definitely needs to find a spot in your quick and easy dinner time recipe rotation.
WHAT IS INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI?
In short, it's a modern day miracle. No dirty pans or extra dishes, EVERYTHING cooks in the Instant Pot. Toss in the ingredients, do a little sautéing and then set it and forget it. The result is turkey chili that tastes like it's been simmering on the stove all day, but serves up in about 30 minutes.
HOW DO YOU MAKE INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI?
FIRST: Sauté the veggies in olive oil until tender.
NEXT: Throw in some ground turkey, break it up and cook it completely.
THEN: Add in the remaining ingredients, pop the lid on the Instant Pot, set the timer and wait.
FINALLY: Serve up the turkey chili and top it with your favorite garnishes. Onions, cheese and avocado are my personal favs!
FAQ'S ABOUT EASY INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI:
IS TURKEY CHILI HEALTHY?
Making chili with turkey instead of beef reduces calories and fat content. This recipe is packed with nutrients and protein making it both a filling and healthy option. Just make sure to go easy on any "garnishes" such as crackers, sour cream and cheese.
WHAT TYPE OF TURKEY IS BEST FOR MAKING INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI?
Ground turkey can be a little dry. For this reason I recommend purchasing turkey that is 85% lean as opposed to ultra-lean varieties that are 95% and above.
HOW LONG SHOULD YOU COOK INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI?
18 minutes works perfectly. If you find that you want the beans to be a little more cooked you can always pop the lid back on and cook the chili for an additional 3-4 minutes on high pressure.
WHAT SIZE INSTANT POT IS BEST FOR TURKEY CHILI?
This recipe has been tested in both the 6 and 8 quart Instant Pot. As long as you add the ½ cup of broth/stock, either size should work well.
I DON'T HAVE AN INSTANT POT, CAN I MAKE THIS TURKEY CHILI ON THE STOVETOP?
Yep. The original recipe was actually written as a stovetop recipe. Click HERE FOR MY QUICK AND EASY TURKEY CHILI.
I LIKE CHILI WITH A LOT OF SPICE. CAN I UP THE SPICY FACTOR OF THIS INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI?
This is a very mild chili, because it's meant to be family friendly. To up the spicy-ness dice up a couple of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (from the can) and toss them in prior to cooking. You can also add a bit of cayenne pepper.
HOW DO I MAKE INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI THICKER?
The amount of liquid in canned diced tomatoes can vary greatly, which impacts the texture of the chili. If your chili is runny, mix together 1 Tbs. of cornstarch + 1 Tbs of water and pour the mixture into the chili. Stir. It should thicken right up. You could also turn on the sauté function on your Instant Pot and allow the chili to simmer until it thickens. Make sure to stir frequently or the bottom of the chili will burn.
HOW DO I MAKE INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI THINNER?
Just add a little extra broth/stock until your chili is the desired consistency.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI?
For me, nothing goes with chili better than corn muffins. You can break them up and use them as a topping or enjoy them on the side. I also like to offer hot dogs as a kid-friendly option.
Easy Instant Pot Turkey Chili is simple to make, requiring just 8 ingredients and 10 minutes hand on prep. All the taste of stove-top chili, but done in half the time.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 3 Tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup beef broth or stock
- OPTIONAL: avocado, cilantro and diced onion to garnish
- Turn on the Instant Pot sauté function. Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and allow it to heat for about 1 minute. Add the onions and red peppers. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes, or until peppers and onions are tender. Next, add the garlic and continue sautéing for an additional minute.
- To the Instant Pot, add ground turkey. Break up the turkey using a wooden spoon and season with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and 1 tsp. of salt. Use wooden spoon to mix the spices into the meat.
- Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans and beef broth/stock. Stir. Place the lid on the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 18 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure before the the timer starts counting down.
- Once the chili is cooked, preform a quick release by opening the pressure valve on the Instant Pot. Serve immediately with your favorite "fixings" or cover and store in the refrigerator.
- This chili is VERY mild so that it is family friendly. To up the spice factor, add 1-2 Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce (canned) that have been diced. You could also add some cayenne pepper.
- Diced tomatoes vary greatly from brand to brand in texture. If your chili isn't thick enough, combine 1 Tbs. of water with 1 Tbs. of corn starch and mix it together with a fork. Add the mixture to the chili to thicken. Alternatively, you can turn on the sauté function on your Instant Pot and allow the chili to simmer until it thickens. Make sure to stir frequently or it will burn to the bottom.
- If you chili is too thin, add a little extra beef stock.
Keywords: Chili, Instant Pot
You can find Simply Sissom on Instagram where I share even more recipes (some that aren’t on the blog), behind the scenes pics and videos AND tips and tricks to make healthy eating realistic for your busy family.
Did you make this recipe? If you tried the recipe, I would love to see it and have you share! Tag me @simplysissom using the hashtag #simplysissom.
RECIPES LIKE EASY INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI: