20-Minute Sausage Carbonara - a simple weeknight pasta that requires 6 basic ingredients. A delicious whole-food meal.
- 8 oz. whole wheat linguine or fettuccine noodles
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 links spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and sausage to the pan. Use spatula to break up the sausage. Cook sausage until brown, about 6 minutes and then season with salt and pepper. Turn heat to low.
- In a small bowl, whisk together parmesan and eggs.
- Add the drained pasta to the skillet. Toss until it's coated with the fat of the sausage. Remove the pan from the heat and add 1 TBS of pasta water along with the egg/parmesan mixture. Continue to toss the pasta until the liquid thickens and a light sauce is created. If it becomes too thick, add additional pasta water 1 TBS at a time. Add the parsley, toss and serve immediately.
If you want the dish to cook even faster, you can sub pappardelle noodles or use fresh pasta.