- 1/4 cup, coconut sugar, divided (you can sub brown sugar)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- (1) 3.5 - 4 lb. boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 6 pieces
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 3/4 cup beef stock (chicken stock or water can be subbed)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 12 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- OPTIONAL: Pickles, BBQ sauce and Slaw for garnish
- In a small bowl combine 2 Tbs coconut sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, mustard powder, ground cumin, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork.
- Turn on the Instant Pot® to the sauté setting. Add the olive oil and once hot, add the pork in 2 batches, turning until browned on all sides (about 2 minutes per side). Switch the Instant Pot® to warming mode and transfer the seared pork to a plate.
- To the Instant Pot®, add beef stock, apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, remaining 2 Tbs. coconut sugar, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Whisk to combine. Add the pork back to the sauce. Set pressure cook on high for 55 minutes.
- After 55 minutes, perform a quick release. Carefully unlock/open the lid and transfer the pork to a large bowl.
- Switch the Instant Pot ® to the sauce setting and simmer the juices until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. As juices are reducing, use a spoon to remove any fat that floats to the top.
- Use 2 forks to shred the pork.
- Add desired amount of reduced cooking liquid to the shredded pork. Serve in hamburger buns with BBQ sauce.
- BBQ sauce can have lots of crazy ingredients. I recently tried THIS ONE from The New Primal and enjoyed it. It's a bit pricy, but I liked the real-food ingredient list.
- The hamburger bun and garnishes are not included in the nutrition information.
Keywords: Instant Pot, BBQ, Pulled Pork