- 3 Red Bell Peppers
- 3 Sweet Onions
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 5 links Italian Chicken Sausage
- 5 Whole Wheat Pitas or Naan Bread
- 2.5 oz. mozzarella cheese
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange the peppers and onions into a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Arrange sausages on sheet pan.
- Roast for 15 minutes, flip sausages and toss veggies, roast an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove cooked sausage and veggies form oven. Wrap up in aluminum foil from the sheet pan (use oven mits) to keep warm and set aside.
- Arrange Naan or pita bread on the baking sheet. Add a strip of marinara down the center of each and top with a slice of mozzarella. Place into hot oven. Bake until cheese is melted and gooey. Remove from oven.
- Place a piece of sausage on top of each slice of mozzarella and top with cooked peppers and onions. Serve immediately.
- Red bell peppers ore on the EWG's dirty dozen list, buy organic when possible.
- Make sure hoagies are 100% whole wheat, the label whole wheat is not meaningful.
- Mozzarella should be purchased in block form to avoid nasty additives that are used to keep pre-shredded cheese from sticking together. Buy organic when possible.
- Too much bread for you in this recipe? The peppers and onions are delicious sans bread, or on top of a sweet potato or salad!