Lemon Garlic Pasta with Chicken Sausage is a simple to make 1-pot recipe requiring just 30 minutes. A quick and tasty dinner option that's perfect for busy weeknights.
- 3 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 12 oz. Italian chicken sausage, fully cooked and diced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt/Pepper- to taste
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 8 oz thin spaghetti
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 handfuls baby spinach
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- zest of 1 lemon
- OPTIONAL - *** hot sauce
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil and arrange tomatoes and sliced sausage in a single layer. Drizzle the tomatoes with about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast the tomatoes and sausage in the oven until the tomatoes are tender and the sausage is golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the sausage and tomatoes are roasting, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toss in the diced onions. Once onions begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes, add the garlic. Cook garlic and onions for an additional minute, or until garlic is fragrant. Add water, and milk. Cover and bring to a boil.
- When water is at a full boil, add spaghetti and red pepper flakes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover. Allow spaghetti to cook until al dente (see package directions for cook time), stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid from skillet. Stir in spinach, tomatoes, sausage, salt and pepper. Stir constantly until liquid is mostly absorbed. Remove skillet from the heat.
- Add lemon zest and parmesan cheese into the skillet. Stir until fully combined, about 1 minute.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately.
TOPPINGS: add a few healthy dashes of hot sauce as a fun topping. I like to do this on individual plates so everyone can control their own spice level.
- Chicken sausage can be swapped for another protein like chicken or shrimp.
- Vegetables are customizable. Use what you have or eliminate them all together.
- Thin spaghetti works best with this recipe.
Keywords: chicken sausage, pasta, spaghetti