- 4 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes (skin on)
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups hot milk
- 1/2-1 stick butter (room temperature)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put 4 lbs. of unpeeled gold potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add 2 TBS of salt. Bring to a simmer (don't boil) and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 45-55 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, then peel (it should remove easily with a vegetable peeler or the side of a spoon) and return to the pan. Add milk and desired amount of butter. Mash with a potato masher or mixer.
- Season with salt and pepper. Taste as you go! Mashed potatoes aren't an exact science.
- Kitchen Hack: You can skip "mashing" the potatoes by placing cooked potatoes + milk and butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, turn mixer to low and gradually increase speed until the potatoes are mashed to your desired consistency.
- Nutrition information is based on 3/4 cups of butter and using whole milk.