Pumpkin, Brown Butter Apples and Sage come together in this extraordinarily cheesy, Fall-inspired Ultimate Pumpkin Pizza.
- 8 oz. store-bought pizza dough
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 TBS honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt + more for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp pepper + more for seasoning
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs minced fresh sage leaves
- 1 TBS unsalted butter
- 1 sweet apple, finely diced
- 4 oz Gruyere cheese
- 4 oz Mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan
- flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 450 (or whatever the directions on your store-bought crust recommend).
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine pumpkin puree, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 Tbs of olive oil and 1 Tbs minced sage. Set aside.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat, set aside.
- In a medium skillet, over high heat, add 1 TBS of butter. When butter is melted, add diced apples and cook, tossing and stirring frequently until tender an browned on most sides, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Stretch or roll pizza dough into a 1/4 inch thick circle on a lightly floured work surface. Once the desired shape is achieved, transfer the crust to a pizza stone or baking sheet. Top with pumpkin mixture, brown butter apples, cooked sausage, Gruyere, mozzarella and parmesan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and any chopped sage that you had left over.
- Bake according to pizza crust directions, or until cheese is bubbly and golden. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- I used Whole Wheat pre-made pizza crust from Whole Foods. I have also had success with the whole-wheat pizza crust from Trader Joes.