Easy Instant Pot Turkey Chili is simple to make, requiring just 8 ingredients and 10 minutes hand on prep. All the taste of stove-top chili, but done in half the time.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 3 Tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup beef broth or stock
- OPTIONAL: avocado, cilantro and diced onion to garnish
- Turn on the Instant Pot sauté function. Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and allow it to heat for about 1 minute. Add the onions and red peppers. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes, or until peppers and onions are tender. Next, add the garlic and continue sautéing for an additional minute.
- To the Instant Pot, add ground turkey. Break up the turkey using a wooden spoon and season with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and 1 tsp. of salt. Use wooden spoon to mix the spices into the meat.
- Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans and beef broth/stock. Stir. Place the lid on the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 18 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure before the the timer starts counting down.
- Once the chili is cooked, preform a quick release by opening the pressure valve on the Instant Pot. Serve immediately with your favorite "fixings" or cover and store in the refrigerator.
- This chili is VERY mild so that it is family friendly. To up the spice factor, add 1-2 Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce (canned) that have been diced. You could also add some cayenne pepper.
- Diced tomatoes vary greatly from brand to brand in texture. If your chili isn't thick enough, combine 1 Tbs. of water with 1 Tbs. of corn starch and mix it together with a fork. Add the mixture to the chili to thicken. Alternatively, you can turn on the sauté function on your Instant Pot and allow the chili to simmer until it thickens. Make sure to stir frequently or it will burn to the bottom.
- If you chili is too thin, add a little extra beef stock.
Keywords: Chili, Instant Pot