Monterey Chicken Sandwiches are simple to make, requiring just 30 minutes prep and basic ingredients. Toasted brioche buns topped with pan-seared chicken, Monterey Jack cheese and caramelized balsamic onions.
- 4 brioche buns
- olive oil
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 large chicken breasts, halved and split *
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the Potato Wedges:
- 1 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
- olive oil
- 1 Tbs. fry spice
For the Fry Spice:
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 1 Tbs. garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbs. onion powder
- 1 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Halve buns.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, drizzle about 1/2 Tbs. of olive oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in 5 tsp of balsamic vinegar + 1 tsp of sugar. Continue cooking until liquid thickens, about 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, transfer to a small bowl and wash out your pan.
- Make the fry seasoning. Combine paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Use a fork to mix. Set aside.
- Toss potatoes on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oil and 1 Tbs. of fry seasoning. Roast on the top rack, flipping halfway through until brown and tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil in the same large skillet that you used for the onions. Add chicken and cook until center is no longer pink, 5-6 minutes per side. Evenly sprinkle chicken with cheese. Cover pan until cheese has melted. Turn off heat. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Wipe out pan.
- In the same pan, melt 1 Tbs. butter over medium heat. Add buns cut side down and allow them to cook 1-2 minutes, or until golden and toasted.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and the remaining fry seasoning. Stir.
- Spread as much sauce as desired onto the bottom of each bun. Top with chicken and onions. Divide sandwiches and potatoes between plates.
- How To Halve and Split Chicken Breasts - Place a boneless skinless chicken breast on a cutting board and hold it flat with the palm of your non-knife hand. Using a sharp chef's knife, slice the chicken breast horizontally into 2 even pieces. Slice each resulting piece of chicken through the middle to create 4 thin chicken breasts that will fit on a brioche bun.
Keywords: Monterey Chicken, Monterey Chicken Recipe, Monterey Chicken Sandwich