Monterey Chicken Sandwiches are simple to make, requiring just 30 minutes prep. Toasted brioche buns topped with pan-seared chicken, Monterey Jack and caramelized balsamic onions.
Pin Monterey Chicken Sandwiches for later!
What's better than saucy, spicy, delicious Monterey Chicken Sandwiches for dinner?
Answer - Monterey Chicken Sandwiches served up warm with homemade potato wedges.
This Monterey Chicken Sandwich Recipe is brainless, weeknight friendly and paired with some buddies like caramelized balsamic onions, "spicy spread" and Yukon potato wedges to round it all out. This is a meal that tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen and yet it comes together in practically no time at all.
So basically Monterey Chicken is my solution to the KIDS GOTTA EAT BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO MAKE dilemma.
Here we go.
How To Make Monterey Chicken Sandwiches:
TIP: With a little creativity you can get away with cooking All. The. Things. using only 1 skillet and 1 sheet pan (which you can cover in foil for EVEN less mess).
- Thinly slice your onions. I like to use a mandolin to do this, but a sharp chef's knife and steady hand will work fine.
- Warm up a skillet, toss in a drizzle of olive oil and caramelize the onions. A quick splash of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of sugar really take things to the next level.
- While the onions are caramelizing, horizontally slice and half the chicken breasts (see recipe for details). Thin chicken makes things go faster and is easier to bite through which is helpful when you are eating it sandwich style.
- Toast your buns if you want (trust me, you want) and mix up the "spicy spread" (fry spice + sour cream).
- Top each toasted bun with "spicy spread", pan-fried chicken and caramelized onions. Done and done.
FAQ about Monterey Jack Sandwiches:
What To Serve With Monterey Chicken Sandwiches:
I like to serve Monterey chicken with potato wedges tossed with the same spice used to create the "spicy spread." The recipe includes directions for adding potato wedges as a side. I like to slice up some in season fruit to round off the meal.
Can Monterey Chicken Sandwiches Be Prepped, Made-Ahead or Frozen?
Prep: There are several steps of the Monterey Chicken Recipe that can be done in advance. The caramelized onions and spicy sour cream can be pre-made and stored in the refrigerator for several days. You could also pre shred your cheese (if you are not using store-bought).
Make Ahead: These sandwiches taste best fresh (most things do), but I wrapped fully assembled sandwiches in foil and stored them in the fridge. To heat, I just tossed them in the oven (still wrapped in foil) at 350 degrees until the cheese melted. They were delicious.
Freezer: There are components of this recipe that would be fine in the refrigerator, but with these Monterey Chicken Sandwiches coming together as quickly as they do, I don't find freezing to be necessary.Print
Easy Monterey Chicken Sandwiches With Potato Wedges
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 sandwiches/1.5 lbs. fries 1x
- Category: Main Meal
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Monterey Chicken Sandwiches are simple to make, requiring just 30 minutes prep and basic ingredients. Toasted brioche buns topped with pan-seared chicken, Monterey Jack cheese and caramelized balsamic onions.
- 4 brioche buns
- olive oil
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- ½ Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 large chicken breasts, halved and split *
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbs. butter
- ½ cup sour cream
For the Potato Wedges:
- 1 ½ lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
- olive oil
- 1 Tbs. fry spice
For the Fry Spice:
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 1 Tbs. garlic powder
- ½ Tbs. onion powder
- 1 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Halve buns.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, drizzle about ½ Tbs. of olive oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in 5 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar + 1 teaspoon of sugar. Continue cooking until liquid thickens, about 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, transfer to a small bowl and wash out your pan.
- Make the fry seasoning. Combine paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Use a fork to mix. Set aside.
- Toss potatoes on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oil and 1 Tbs. of fry seasoning. Roast on the top rack, flipping halfway through until brown and tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil in the same large skillet that you used for the onions. Add chicken and cook until center is no longer pink, 5-6 minutes per side. Evenly sprinkle chicken with cheese. Cover pan until cheese has melted. Turn off heat. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Wipe out pan.
- In the same pan, melt 1 Tbs. butter over medium heat. Add buns cut side down and allow them to cook 1-2 minutes, or until golden and toasted.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and the remaining fry seasoning. Stir.
- Spread as much sauce as desired onto the bottom of each bun. Top with chicken and onions. Divide sandwiches and potatoes between plates.
- How To Halve and Split Chicken Breasts - Place a boneless skinless chicken breast on a cutting board and hold it flat with the palm of your non-knife hand. Using a sharp chef's knife, slice the chicken breast horizontally into 2 even pieces. Slice each resulting piece of chicken through the middle to create 4 thin chicken breasts that will fit on a brioche bun.
Keywords: Monterey Chicken, Monterey Chicken Recipe, Monterey Chicken Sandwich
You can find Simply Sissom on Instagram where I share even more recipes (some that aren’t on the blog), behind the scenes pics and videos AND tips and tricks to make healthy eating realistic for your busy family.
Recipes Like Monterey Chicken Sandwiches:
3-Ingredient Hummus Crusted Chicken:
Easy Oven-Baked Parmesan Chicken:
Leave a Reply