Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Quesadillas are the perfect solution for feeding a crowd (or your family). Made "big batch" style in the oven instead of individually on the stove, this recipe hack is a game changer.
Pin Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Chicken Quesadillas for later!
Campbell's 6th birthday is early next week and he's already informed me that dinner will be quesadillas. I suggested eating out at our favorite Mexican restaurant, but he declined.. he want's MY quesadillas. Admittedly, I don't make them often simply because I hate standing at the stove handing out quesadillas 1 by 1 to hungry kiddos. Seriously, they are already on round 3 before I ever get the chance to sit down with the family. For this reason, I usually go tacos (it's easier ya know?).
That said, a birthday request is a birthday request, sooooo... we're going with these Chipotle Chicken SHEET PAN Chicken Quesadillas. You guys.. this one is a true life-hack. Did you know that you can make a MASSIVE amount of quesadillas IN YOUR OVEN??? All at the same time. #gamechanger
This recipe focuses on our favorite chicken chipotle filling, but you can adapt the premise to make whatever type of quesadillas your family is into (or to accommodate whatever ingredients you have available).
So, without further ado... I present to you my latest and greatest. Southwest inspired, super simple, totally filling and CRAZY FAST... Chipotle Chicken SHEET PAN Chicken Quesadillas!!
Let's do this!
What Are Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Quesadillas:
Put simply, they are a modern day miracle. Instead of making multiple individual quesadillas on the stovetop, you make 1 giant quesadilla that will feed 8-10 people at once using a sheet pan in the oven. This recipe concept is perfect for feeding a crowd, as a make-ahead option for company, or even as a quick weeknight dinner option for your family.
How To Make Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Quesadillas:
Follow these step-by-step pics or checkout the video below!
First: Mix Up the Chipotle Chicken Quesadilla "filling." Just throw All. The. Things. into a bowl and mix. It's that simple, no cooking required!
Second: Arrange tortillas around the perimeter of the baking sheet. They should be ½ on and ½ off. Place a tortilla in the center of the pan to cover any sheet pan that is till showing in the center.
Third: Spread out the filling. It should cover all areas of the sheet pan.
Fourth: Place 1 more tortilla in the center of the baking sheet. This will make sure that all the filling is covered on the top as well as the bottom.
Fifth: Fold all the tortillas on the outer edge in half so that they cover the filling. Place a second baking sheet on top of the quesadillas so the they hold their shape and bake in the oven at 425 F. for 23-20 minutes or until tortillas are golden and the cheese is melted.
Step By Step Video: Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Quesadillas:
FAQ's About Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Quesadillas:
Are Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Quesadillas Healthy?
Yes! These Chicken Chipotle Quesadillas are prepared on a sheet pan instead of being fried so they are much lower in fat and calories. In addition, I used whole-wheat tortillas made from real food ingredients (Ezekiel brand is my favorite). You can go lighter on the cheese than the recipe recommends if you want to cut fat/calories further, but all things considered.. this is a great dinner option that you can feel good about eating!
Can You Make Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Quesadillas Ahead of Time?
You can and I do it often. Just follow the recipe directions, but DON'T bake. Instead, place the second sheet pan on top of the Quesadillas (so that they don't unfold) and pop the whole thing in to the refrigerator until you are ready to heat and serve. You can do this up to 24 hours in advance and the quesadillas still taste great!
Can you Freeze Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Quesadillas?
Yep! There are 2 different methods of freezing that you can do for this recipe.
- Once the quesadillas cool, slice them into the desired size and shape and arrange them onto a baking sheet. Place baking sheet into the freezer for 2-3 hours or until the quesadillas are frozen through. Once they are fully frozen, remove the baking sheet from the freezer and put the frozen quesadillas into a large freezer-friendly ziplock bag. To serve, pop them into the microwave, oven or air-fryer until warmed through.
- Assemble the Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Quesadillas according to recipe directions, but don't bake. Instead, place a heavy sheet pan on top of the uncooked quesadillas and pop the whole thing into the freezer for 3-4 hours. Once the quesadillas are frozen through, wrap them in plastic wrap or parchment paper and store in the freezer until ready to serve. There is no need to thaw the quesadillas prior to baking. Just follow regular baking instructions, but add an additional 10-15 minutes cooking time.
What Size Baking Sheet And Tortillas Should I Use?
I use the traditional "taco sized" tortillas and ½ sized rimmed sheet pans. I choose to use smaller sheet pans because I think that the edges of the quesadillas are the best part. I make 2 pans instead of 1 when using the smaller sheet pans. If you don't have a ½ size sheet pans you can use 1 full size, but you will need to purchase the "burrito sized" tortillas that are a little larger. Both options work well!
Can I Change Up The Quesadilla Filling?
You bet! Chipotle Chicken is just one of the varieties of quesadillas that I make using this method. You could do plain chicken + cheese, ground beef + tomatoes + cheddar... whatever you like! I have a suspicion that breakfast style quesadillas would be a fantastic variation!Print
Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Quesadillas
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Category: Main Meal
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Chicken Quesadillas are the perfect solution for feeding a crowd (or your family). Made "big batch" style in the oven instead of individually on the stove, this recipe hack is a game changer.
- olive oil spray
- 3 cups chicken, shredded (I like to buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken)
- 2 ½ cups cheese, shredded (I use a combo of cheddar and mozzarella)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 cup of corn cut from the cobb
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 Tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 16 whole grain taco sized tortillas (if using ½ sized baking sheets) OR 12 whole grain burrito sized tortillas (if using a full size baking sheet)
- OPTIONAL GARNISHES: sour cream, guacamole, salsa and cilantro
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, shredded cheese, chipotle pepper, corn, salsa, cilantro and lime juice. Mix until fully incorporated, set aside.
- Arrange the tortillas around the perimeter of the rimmed baking sheet. Half of the tortilla should be on the baking sheet, and the other half should hang off. Place 1 tortilla in the center of the baking sheet to cover the remaining area. (SEE VIDEO ON POST FOR CLARIFICATION IF CONFUSED)
- Pour ½ of the topping onto each of (2) ½ sized baking sheets OR all of the topping onto the baking sheet if using the full sized option. Place 1 tortilla in the center of the filling/baking dish to ensure that the top of the quesadillas are completely enclosed.
- Carefully fold the tortillas around the perimeter towards the center of the baking sheet. Place an additional sheet pan on top of the quesadillas before baking so that they hold their shape.
- Bake at 425 F for 25-30 minutes or until the tortillas are firm and golden and the inside of the quesadillas are hot. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving with desired garnishes.
- Click Here for a step-by-step video demonstrating how to properly fold the quesadillas.
- This recipe can be made using (2) ½ sized rimmed sheet pans OR (1) full size rimmed sheet pan. Make sure to buy the proper tortillas depending on which option you choose - details in the ingredients list.
Keywords: Quesadilla, Sheet Pan
Let's Be Friends:
You can find Simply Sissom on Instagram where I share even more recipes (some that aren’t on the blog), behind the scenes pics and videos AND tips and tricks to make healthy eating realistic for your busy family.
Did you make this recipe? If you tried the recipe, I would love to see it and have you share! Tag me @simplysissom using the hashtag #simplysissom.
Recipes Like Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Quesadillas:
Chicken Burrito Bowls with Cilantro-Lime Dressing:
Freezer-Friendly Chicken Chipotle Burritos:
Plating and picture is beautiful! Looks like you dressed with a sour cream sauce vs. a dollop of SC? Looks so yummy!!!!
Bailey Sissom says
Thanks! I have so much fun setting up the pictures... who knew I was going to enjoy food photography so much..lol! I'm learning everyday. The sauce on the quesadillas is actually yogurt based. I just added a little lime, not quite sour cream, but it works! We need to get together soon. Too long!
Lynn | The Road to Honey says
Pick me. . .pick me! I've always loved a good quesadilla and these look and sound especially divine. I love that they are clean and can be pulled together quickly. As for salsa, I typically make my own as it is simple enough to dice some tomatoes and onion and squeeze a bit of lime juice on top.
Bailey Sissom says
Thanks Lynn! Homemade salsa is delicious. I think that it would be perfect with these quesadillas!