- Carcass from 3-4 lb. whole chicken
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped (I peel them)
- 3 celery stalks, leafy green part can be included
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5-6 sprigs of fresh thyme (sub out any fresh herbs you have on hand)
- 2 1/2 Tbs of apple cider vinegar
- 15 whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: select desired method
STOVETOP: Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot. Add enough water to cover veggies and bring to a rapid boil. Once water is boiling, reduce heat and simmer on the stovetop (covered)for 12-24 hours.
SLOW COOKER: Combine all ingredients into the bowl of a slow cooker. Add enough water to cover veggies. Set crockpot to low for 10-12 hours.
INSTANT POT: Combine all ingrediens into the bowl of an Instant Pot. Add enough water to cover veggies. Set pressure to high and cook for 120 minutes. Allow the steam to release naturally (aka.. don't touch pot until the little red button goes down).
Strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer (I like the ones that have hooks on the edges) over a large bowl with a pour spout. Discard the solids. Transfer broth to multiple containers/bags. Allow broth to cool completely before freezing or refrigerating. Before using broth, use a spoon to scrape the fat from the top.