Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce is a great alternative to high-calorie, high-carb traditional spaghetti and meatballs and is Whole30 and Paleo compliant.
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves (or 4 Dorot crushed garlic cubes)
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage (sub for favorite ground meat if desired)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, julienned
- 1 28 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 TBS tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
For the Spaghetti Squash:
- Poke a few holes in the skin of the squash using a sharp knife. Microwave the spaghetti squash for 5 minutes.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. It should slice easily since it was microwaved.
- Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Rub olive oil onto the inside of the squash and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast cut-side down at 400 degrees F. for 40 minutes. Remove from oven. Leave squash cut-side down on sheet pan until you are ready to serve the dish. It will continue to steam and soften.
- Once spaghetti squash is cool enough to touch, use a fork to scrape the strands. Start at the outside and work your way in.
For the Meat Sauce:
- Place pan on stove over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and garlic. Cook 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant. Add onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add ground sausage, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook until sausage is mo longer pink, using a wood spoon to break up the sausage.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, thyme, oregano and basil to the pan. Stir until the tomato paste breaks apart and all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Allow sauce to simmer for 30 minutes. Top cooked/shredded spaghetti squash with a pile of warm meat sauce and serve immediately.
- Select a spaghetti squash that is small. They are easier to cut and to work with.
Keywords: spaghetti squash, meat sauce, whole30, paleo, sugar-free