3-Ingredient Hummus-Crusted Chicken is simple, requiring just 5-minutes prep. A healthy whole-food, protein packed, weeknight meal.
Pin 3-Ingredient Hummus-Crusted Chicken for later!
The obsession continues, therefore I have a gift for you: 3-Ingredient Hummus Crusted Chicken. This recipe is so simple, requiring just 30 minutes start to finish. You game?
I have been looking for a versatile chicken recipe for quite some time. You know the kind of recipe that I’m talking about.. 5 minutes prep and then toss it in the oven and forget about it. Something reminiscent of the days when making dinner meant sprinkling some lemon-pepper onto some chicken breasts, throwing them on the George Foreman grill and popping a steamable bag of broccoli into the microwave. In other words, pre-kids. Now healthy meals require sneakiness and creativity. Side note… hummus-crusted baked chicken looks A LOT like chicken nuggets when cut into pieces ?.
For having only 3 ingredients, this recipe packs quite the nutritional punch.
Chicken is an awesome source of lean protein which supports muscle development and supports a healthy body weight and combats bone loss. It is rich in phosphorus, an essential mineral that supports your teeth, kidneys, bones, liver and nervous system; selenium, which improves metabolic performance, and niacin which has been show to guard agains cancer.
Hummus is also a great source of protein which means it can help you feel full longer, fight cravings and balance your blood sugar level. It is also very iron rich, this helps boost energy (who doesn’t need a little of that!)
Paprika is a spice that is made from grinding dried bell and chili peppers is rich in vitamin C and carotenoids. It can help you fight aging, brighten your complexion, prevent hair loss, and has great anti-inflammatory properties.
In Summary: Eat this chicken and you will have a beautiful complexion, a head full of hair, muscles on your muscles and more energy than you know what to do with. And you thought you were just making an easy dinner ?
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: If you are making your own hummus this can be done 2-3 days in advance of making the chicken. If you are using store bought, don’t bother to prep! The recipe is SO EASY.
Make Ahead: If you are just eating this chicken by itself.. I recommend eating it straight from the oven. It just tastes better. However, this chicken is FANTASTIC when diced up and thrown on a salad the following day. I like to make a little extra just so that I can ensure that this situation materializes.
Freezer: Again.. the recipe is so simple that there really isn’t any need to freeze ahead. 5 minutes prep guys!
4-Ingredient Hummus-Crusted Chicken
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 1 lb. chicken
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, organic recommended
- 1 cup plain hummus (homemade or store-bought)
- Smoked Paprika
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a thin layer of hummus over seasoned chicken breast. I used a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle hummus covered chicken with smoked paprika.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking rack that has been positioned over a rimmed baking tray.
- Cook chicken at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until center of chicken is no longer pink.
- If you want to make your own hummus but don’t have a recipe, I suggest Ina Garten’s Classic Hummus. It’s simple, healthy and perfect for this dish.
- Using store-bought hummus? Make sure and check the ingredients. Some big brand names have TONS of additives that just really aren’t necessary. You should be looking for something along the lines of chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, salt, pepper, garlic, possibly some spices and not much else.
- There is a difference between paprika and smoked paprika… go for the smoked, it’s delightful!
- Spreading the hummus on the chicken can be a bit messy. I used a rubber spatula and skipped covering the bottom of the chicken (although you can if you want to). There was still plenty of taste!
If you aren’t following Simply Sissom on social media.. why not! Check me out on Pinterest for more whole-food recipes from my favorite bloggers and sites from around the web; Instagram for a behind the scenes look at what’s going on in the Kitchen, post-updates and meal prep tips and tricks that you won’t find here on the blog; and Twitter and Facebook for interesting articles, recipes and tips and tricks to make clean eating work for you and your family.
Other Simple Whole-Food Recipes:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!