Make Ahead Sausage Egg Breakfast Casserole Casserole is simple to make, requiring only 9 ingredients and 15 minutes prep. Loaded with spicy sausage, melty cheese and fluffy eggs.. it’s the perfect go-to brunch dish.
CONFESSION: Sometimes what I decide to make for dinner is solely based around how much whining I feel like I can handle at the dinner table.
There are days that I serve up herbed chicken (aka.. chicken with “green things” on it) with roasted broccoli and carrots and think to my self.. “bring it on boys.” Annnnnnnd then.. there are days like yesterday where just the thought of struggling through a dinner of “this is gross,” “I’m not hungry,” and “can’t I just eat cereal” is honestly more than I am equipped to handle.
On those days that are particularly energy depleting, and that my patience is not at the ideal level, this is one of my go to recipes. There is something that is just fantastic about the whole breakfast as dinner thing. The whole family loves it. The boys BEG for seconds and if I’m being completely honest (which is always the goal), I don’t exactly hate hearing the everyone rave about what a great cook I am:)
This is probably more than obvious, but definitely worth a mention.. Easter is this weekend!
Easter = BRUNCH
When you aren’t using this egg casserole to boost your self-esteem through positive words of affirmation.. you can definitely use it as the perfect addition to any brunch-like-situation. It’s make-ahead friendly, easy to throw together and in case you missed this the other 2 times I already mentioned it in this post… EVERYBODY LOVES IT.
Just cube and arrange bread, top it with cooked sausage and sprinkle on a little cheese.
Once you’ve got that done.. mix up some eggs, milk, salt and pepper and pour it over the top. Pop it in the oven. Bake it. Annnnnd… you’re done!
Time Saving Tips and Tricks
Prep: This recipe is great for prepping ahead. You can cube the bread, top with sausage and cheese and cover. The egg mixture can be pre-mixed and stored in a separate container. To prepare final dish, pour egg mixture over assembled bread, sausage and cheese and follow recipe instructions.
Make Ahead: This sausage egg breakfast casserole tastes great as leftovers. With that said.. it’s much prettier (and maybe a little tastier) fresh from the oven.
Freezer: The sausage can be pre-cooked and stored in the freezer, but freezing the entire casserole isn’t a great idea.Print
Make Ahead Sausage Egg Breakfast Casserole
- 8 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 7-8 pieces whole wheat bread
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb. cooked breakfast sausage
- Heat oven to 325. Lightly spray a 9×13″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- Remove crusts from whole wheat bread. Slice bread into 1” x 1” square pieces. Arrange bread pieces into a single layer in a 9” x13” baking dish.
- Top bread pieces with cooked breakfast sausage.
- Top sausage with shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, oregano, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over the top of the top of the partially assembled casserole.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the center of the casserole is completely set. Remove casserole from oven and allow to set for 10 minutes before serving.
- Pre-shredded cheese has lots of additives and fillers. When possible, it’s always best to grate your own.
- Purchasing sausage that is made fresh in store from the butcher’s counter is ideal. Skip on varieties that have tons of added sugar ie… maple, etc.
Let’s Be Friends:
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
Posts like Make Ahead Sausage Egg Breakfast Casserole:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!