Spanish chicken and Potato Skillet Bake is a warm, comforting, fragrant dish that features juicy chicken thighs topped with caramelized onions and burst grape tomatoes atop a bed of garlicky golden potatoes.
Chicken and Potatoes. I know it sounds boring, but here’s the thing… it’s not!
Hearty, filling, and flavorful, what more could you ask of a weeknight supper?
You ask for… simple ingredients, fast prep and easy directions. Check, check, aaaannnndddd CHECK!
The concept is simple:
Base layer of garlicky roasted potatoes – quartered to save time
Carmalized, sweet onions
Fresh burst grape tomatoes (<– not sure that “burst” is an official culinary term, but let’s just roll with it, k?)
Juicy chicken thighs coated in a delicious spanish flour blend and topped and a squeeze of lemon
This recipe is SOO easy to make, requiring just about 30 minutes from start to finish. Definitely weeknight friendly category worthy.
The result is a 30 minute dinner that is warm, comforting, and most importantly.. it’s just REALLY REALLY good!
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Make Ahead: 5:00 is not exactly “happy hour” at the Sissom house. Nope, as a matter of fact, happy is definitely not the adjective I would use to describe this time of day.
Confession: Remember in school, sitting in class and staring at the clock while willing the bell to ring? The closer the time came, the slower the time moved. That pretty much describes my 5:00. By this point in my day I have played with, nourished and enriched the childhood of my kids to the fullest extent that I am capable. I am tired, cranky, and struggling to maintain my sanity until Daddy get’s home. Although this is traditionally the time that one would get dinner started, it’s just not the ideal for me to actually work towards completing a task.
All this to say,if you relate to the above scenario.. YES, you can make this meal ahead of time and it still tastes great. Just follow recipe directions and then cover the skillet with foil and store in the fridge. When dinner time arrives, just pop the whole thing back in the oven at 350 until the chicken and potatoes are warmed through. OR.. slop some on a plate and pop it in the microwave. No judgement here.
Spanish Chicken and Potato Skillet Bake
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 24 mins
- Total Time: 34 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 28 oz yukon gold baby potatoes, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 1/2 TBS olive oil + more for browning chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 500 degrees. Place iron skillet in oven during pre-heat.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine potatoes, garlic, and olive oil. Toss to mix. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Pierce to ventilate. Microwave on high for 8 minutes. Set aside.
- While potatoes are microwaving, combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt, thyme, and black pepper. Mix.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with a fork.
- Pat chicken thighs dry and season with salt and pepper. Dredge each chicken thigh through egg and then coat with flour mixture.
- Add 1 TBS of olive oil to a medium sized skillet. When it’ nice and hot place chicken thighs into skillet. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the chicken. Cook 45 seconds/side, or until a golden crust is formed. (Note: Do not cook the chicken al the way through, it will bake in the oven). Set chicken aside.
- Remove hot iron skillet from the oven. Pour in potatoes. Top with onion and tomatoes. Return the skillet to the oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and position the partially baked chicken thighs on top of the onions and tomatoes. Return skillet to oven and bake for an additional 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and potatoes and veggies are fork tender.
- If you don’t like dark chicken meat you can replace the thighs for breasts.
Let’s Be Friends:
Looking for more whole-recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like what you see, follow! New pins from my favorite bloggers and sites from around the web are added daily.
I am a HUGE fan of spending a little time each week preparing healthy snacks and meals to be eaten throughout the week. It keeps me out of the drive through line! Want to learn more? Check out Simply Sissom on Instagram all the details (recipes included) from my weekly 90 minutes prep sessions.
Other Whole Food Week Night Dinners You Should Check Out:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!