Healthy Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Sandwiches are make-ahead and whole-food friendly. Whole-grain English Muffins, farm fresh eggs and homemade turkey sausage make this the ultimate breakfast sandwich.
It wasn’t that long ago that Joe and I enjoyed a Jimmy Dean Delight Breakfast Sandwich Every. Single. Morning.
Unwrap the plastic, pop it in the microwave and presto.. breakfast done. It was “light”, convenient, tasty and the box said “whole-grain.” Win right???
Yeah.. not so much
There are over 50 ingredients listed in a Jimmy Dean Delight?, and some of them.. well, they’re just really really bad for you. Top offenders? High-fructose corn syrup (what in the world is that even doing in a breakfast sandwich?), carrageenan (a known carcinogen), natural flavors is mentioned more than once (“natural flavor” on an ingredient list can indicate anywhere from 50-100 ingredients that are not listed), caramel color (questionably carcinogenic) and lots and lots of sugar (a breakfast sandwich just doesn’t need that to taste good)!
I considered including an actual list of all the ingredients of a Jimmy Dean Delight for dramatic effect, but let’s be serious.. this isn’t really a “sciency” type of blog. I’m more of a solutions type girl.
You guys, these healthy freezer-friendly breakfast sandwiches contain all the good stuff.. egg, cheese, sausage WITHOUT any artificial or funky ingredients. They are “light”, tasty and convenient just like good ol’ Jimmy Dean but they won’t kill you (ok, ok… that was a bit dramatic). But seriously..
I already know what you are thinking.. you don’t doubt that these sandwiches are healthier and possibly even tastier, but you are calling me on my claim of convenience. I can’t argue.. grabbing a pre-packaged breakfast sandwiches at the grocery takes less time than making and freezing your own. I’ll also admit that I consider myself to be winning at life if I get the kids hair brushed and have them dressed in matching shoes on a weekday morning, fresh hot breakfast isn’t happening at my house. Buuuuttt.. I will say.. sometimes I have 45 minutes to myself while the kids nap or Joe takes them outside to play. Yesterday I spent that 45 minutes making 24 sandwiches for my family (all by myself) while catching up on my favorite podcasts. It wasn’t awful, I even kinda enjoyed it and now.. breakfast is done. And it’s something I can feel good about feeding my kids!
Doesn’t that look better than a pre-made sandwich from the store?
You guys, I’m going to level with you.. because that’s the kind of friends that we are. To make this sandwich “whole-food friendly” I turned regular ground turkey into “turkey sausage” using LOTS of spices. Sausage from the store, even organic turkey sausage just isn’t as healthy as making your own. No, this isn’t one of those dishes that you are going to say, “that tasted just like the real thing.” Buuut.. it doesn’t contain all the fat and additives, and sometimes that’s enough! Not feeling ground turkey turned sausage? That’s ok.. you are still WAAAYYY ahead of the game by assembling your own breakfast sandwiches. Just purchase organic turkey or chicken breakfast sausage (preferably from the meat counter).
Time Saving Tips and Tricks
Prep: Don’t have a solid 45 minutes to spend assembling breakfast sandwiches? No problem. The eggs and sausage can be made on your time schedule and kept in the refrigerator until you have all the ingredients ready to assemble your sandwiches.
Make-Ahead: Of course! How else would they be freezer friendly?
Freezer: Follow recipe to make sausage patties. Lightly toast english muffin, this helps avoid a soggy sandwich when reheating. Prepare egg. Assemble breakfast sandwich (english muffin, sausage, egg, cheese, english muffin). Wrap sandwich in cellophane and place in an airtight Ziplock freezer bag. To reheat: warm in oven that has been preheated to 325 until warmed through. Remove from oven and top with lettuce, tomato, and any desired sauce (I like dijon mustard).
Healthy Freezer Friendly Breakfast Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 57 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 6 100% whole wheat english muffins (I use Ezekiel English Muffins)
- 6 Eggs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 slices Vermont cheddar cheese (optional)
- ENGLISH MUFFINS: Set broiler to high. Lightly toast english muffins.
- EGGS: Coat skillet lightly with cooking spray (I use olive oil). Fry eggs until yolk is no longer runny.
- SAUSAGE: Comine ground turkey, salt, black pepper, sage, thyme, rosemary, and red pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Form meat mixture into patties that are about the size of your english muffin (they will shrink when cooked). Place in a preheated skillet over medium high heat and cook until middle is no longer pink. About 5 min/side.
- ASSEMBLY: Assemble sandwiches. English muffin bottom, egg, sausage, cheese (optional), english muffin top).
- STORAGE/COOKING DIRECTIONS: Allow sandwiches to cool completely. Wrap each individual sandwich in plastic wrap and store in the freezer. To cook, wrap frozen sandwich in a paper towel and microwave until warmed through, about 1-2 minutes depending on microwave strength or place in oven at 350 degrees until completely thawed and cheese is melted, about 8-12 minutes.
- Finding a good clean eating bread can be confusing. I use Ezekiel brand English Muffins for this recipe. They can be found in the freezer section of most stores.
- If you don’t want to make your own turkey sausage you can sub out store-bought. I recommend buying organic turkey breakfast sausage from the meat counter.
- Feeling ambitious? Double or triple the recipe. I mean, you’re already cooking anyway, right?
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook . Check it out, if you like what you see.. follow?!
Other Grab N’ Go Breakfast Recipes You Might Like:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!