Healthy Whole-Food Breakfast Popsicles require just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes prep. A fun new on-the-go breakfast that's perfect for Summer!
Whelp, ready or not... Summer's HERE!
In about 45 minutes I'll head to the bus stop and pick Cooper up from the Kindergarten bus for the last time. Stop time! Just stop.
As I mentioned in my last post, now that I'm working from home I am a bit nervous about having the boys home all day, BUT I can't help but get a little pumped all fun things SUMMER. Sooooo, as a special treat this morning... I gave each boy a popsicle, for breakfast. And guess what? I don't even have to feel a tiny bit bad about it.
These guys are naturally sweetened, made from whole-food ingredients and loaded with TONS of good for you stuff. Best part.. you're kids won't know. To them, you're just "the super cool mom who serves popsicles for breakfast." WIN!
These healthy whole-food popsicles are made from 5 real food ingredients. You control the sweetness factor. More honey = more sugar. I try to use the smallest amount I can get away with. You can see what works for our family in the recipe below, but don't be afraid to mess with the ratios.
Throwing these together is really easy. I just mixed up some yogurt, honey, vanilla and milk; cooked down some berries, and tossed in a little granola for good measure. They're pretty enough to serve to company, healthy enough for breakfast and hypothetically?... I think they'd work wonders in the bribery arena.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks
Prep: The yogurt can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for 4-5 days. Added bonus, if you don't use it all.. the leftover yogurt is perfect for quick berry parfaits! The berry "jam" can also be prepped and will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Make Ahead: Not only can you.. you must! These guys take about 6 hours to freeze and will keep for several weeks in your freezer.
Freezer: Of course! What good would an unfreezable popsicle be? These guys will keep safely in the freezer for a couple of weeks, but I bet they don't last that long!
Healthy all real food popsicles that require just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes prep. A fun new on-the-go breakfast that's perfect for Summer!
- 3 cups mixed berries
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbs honey
- 2 cups Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cup granola
- Combine the strawberries and honey in a small pot. Stir to combine. Heat over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Cook 8-10 minutes, until the strawberries are thick like jam. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together yogurt, honey, vanilla. Taste. Add more honey if desired.
- Scoop out ¼ cup of yogurt mixture and stir it into the granola.
- Pour a generous spoonful of yogurt into each popsicle mold. Add a scoop of granola then a Tbs or 2 of the berries. Continue layering the yogurt, granola and berries until the molds are filled. Tap the molds agains the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Insert popsicle sticks and place the popsicles into the freezer. Freeze until solid, 5-6 hours.
- Berries appear very high on the dirty dozen list. For this reason, I recommend purchasing organic when possible.
- GRANOLA WARNING: Making your own is always best. It allows you to control the sugar and quality of the ingredients. If you do purchase, make sure to check the nutrition information. You want a brand that is low in sugar and doesn't contain ingredients that you don't recognize. I used my recipe for crunchy chunky granola for this recipe.
Let's Be Friends:
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
Posts like Healthy Whole-Food Breakfast Popsicles: