Creamy Avocado Pasta with Garlic Shrimp made with just 10 ingredients! Savory, simple and healthy – perfect for a satisfying weeknight meal.
Simple, Fresh and Fancy? Yes please ??!!!
Ok, let’s take a quick minute and appreciate the amazing wonderful-ness that is the avocado. Those little guys are chocked-full of all the good stuff.. potassium, fatty acids, fiber, you get the idea. In English.. they are good for your heart, possibly prevent cancer, enhance nutrient absorption and might help you lose weight. Bottom line.. you need them in your life.
Annnnd…. I’m gonna help get you started.
You guys, I made a yummy, delicious, creamy, no-cooking-required-type sauce Out. Of. Avocados. And It’s. So. Easy. 6 ingredients (which are most likely hanging out in your pantry right this very second), 5-minutes prep and my food processor. Seriously, dump everything in, press a button.. delicious creamy avocado sauce DONE.
Toss it with a some whole wheat noodles and top it with some wild-caught shrimp that has been cooked up in a skillet loaded with olive oil and TONS of fresh garlic and you have got yourself a dinner that’s fancy enough to give the illusion that you spent all day cooking in the kitchen, but in reality.. you don’t have to. Is there anything better?
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: This recipe is so simple that there really isn’t much of a reason to prep ahead!
Make Ahead: This recipe tastes great as leftovers, but it gets a little ugly. The avocado does that funky brown color thing. Bottom line.. tastes great, don’t plan to make it ahead if serving to company?.
Freezer: Not this time. Avocados cause a little trouble in the area of make-ahead and freezer friendly!
- 12 oz. whole wheat pasta (gluten-free if neeeded)
- 2 avocados
- ½ cup herbs/leafy greens (I used ½ spinach and ½ oregano)
- 6 garlic cloves, divided
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ⅓ - ½ cup olive oil + 1 more for cooking shrimp
- 1 TBS butter (optional - can be replaced with extra olive oil)
- 16 oz. raw shrimp
- 1 jar roasted red peppers
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- PASTA: Prepare pasta according to recipe directions.
- CREAMY AVOCADO SAUCE: To the base of a food processor, add avocados, herbs/leafy greens, 3 garlic cloves, lemon juice, parmesan cheese and salt/pepper to taste. Pulse 8-10 times to chop up garlic and herbs. Slowly stream in ⅓ - ½ cup of olive oil (depending on thickness of sauce desired).
- GARLIC SHRIMP: Mince remaining 3 garlic cloves. Add 1 TBS butter and 1 TBS olive oil to skillet with minced garlic over medium heat. Stir continuously until butter melts. Add shrimp. Cook shrimp 1-2 minutes per side or until fully pink. Remove from heat. Do not over cook.
- ASSEMBLY: Toss the pasta with the creamy avocado sauce. I like to add a little pasta, little sauce, little pasta, etc. This helps make sure that the pasta to sauce ratio is correct. You may have extra sauce or extra pasta depending on how much of each you use. Top with shrimp, roasted red peppers and cherry tomatoes. Garnish with additional herbs if desired.
- Special Equipment: You need a food processor to make the sauce. You may be able to get a blender to do the job but I haven’t tried. If you do.. report back in the comments section!
- You don’t have to stick to oregano and spinach for your herbs/leafy greens. Cilantro, basil, parsley.. use what you have!
- Shrimp that has been peeled and deveined costs more. It only takes a few minutes to do this yourself! I purchase wild-faugh frozen shrimp. To thaw, I pull it out of the freezer about 10 minutes before I need to cook it, place it in a colander and run room temperature water over it. Don’t use hot water, it will cook the shrimp!
- Not into butter? No prob, just double the olive oil that you use in the shrimp skillet. You won’t even notice a difference.
- I sliced fresh, uncooked cherry tomatoes and tossed them onto the pasta. I suspect that roasting them with olive oil and salt and pepper would take this dish to a whole new level.
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow?!!
Other Posts You Might Like:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!