One jar, 5-minute Instant Oatmeal Jars are the perfect grab n’ go breakfast for hectic mornings. Simple, nutrient packed, customizable and kid friendly.
Saying that I am not a morning person would be the understatement of the year.
It’s not for lack of want.
I have aspirations to be the type of woman that jumps straight out of bed and into my workout clothes. The mother who religiously runs 3 miles, makes a wholesome breakfast for her children, and then drops them off at school looking perfectly put together all before 8:00 a.m.
Instead, each morning, I find myself rushing around like a crazy person. I’m lucky if I have time to change out of my PJ’s and into a pair of yoga pants. The struggle is real.
They say, “if you are struggling you are progressing.”
I’m not really progressing in terms of running marathons and skipping the snooze button buuuuttt… I have compiled quite the collection of simple grab n’ go breakfasts (AKA.. breakfast shortcuts that allow my kids to eat a healthy morning meal even though they were not blessed with a domestic goddess for a mother).
These instant oatmeal jars are one of my absolute favorites. They have 2 really great things going for them… A) my kids eat them and B) Cooper can make them himeelf (while Mommy frantically pulls on pants and removes last night’s mascara).
Oh wait! I definitely want to add at third really great thing that these little cuties have going for them… they are So. Good. For You.
Oatmeal packets that you buy at the store are loaded with sugar, additives, and unnecessary ingredients. These instant oatmeal jars are whole grain, and loaded with fiber. Add dried fruits, nuts, seeds, and other extras and you are talking about a nutrient dense breakfast!
Do you really need a recipe for this? Probably no, you just put things you like in a jar with rolled oats. It’s more of an idea than a recipe. Here’s what you need to know.
- Use half pint (8oz) mason jars. I have found that as long as your added ingredients fit into the jar, adding 2/3 cup of water gives great texture each time!
- Make sure to use quick rolled oats, or your instant oatmeal jars won’t be instant! That would be a bummer on a hectic morning.
- Add chia or flax, it’s good for you!
- I usually make 12 jars at a time (because that’s how many half pint mason jars I have). Cooper loves to help. Not only does this keep him busy, but he gets to pick what goes in his oatmeal so he is excited to eat it.
Basic Recipe: Instant Mason Jar Oats
In a half pint mason jar, combine:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup dried fruit
- 1 TBS nuts
- 1 TBS of seeds (flax, hemp hearts or chia)
- Add desired optional ingredients: coconut, peanut butter powder, cocoa, cinnamon, etc.
- Store mason jars in pantry until ready to eat!
Heating instructions: In a small bowl, combine contents of jar with 2/3 cup of boiling water. Stir. Add honey or maple syrup to sweeten if desired. Enjoy.
Not feeling creative, no problem! Here is our favorite instant oatmeal jar recipe.
- ½ cup oats
- ¼ cup dehydrated or dried bananas
- 2 TBS sliced almonds, optional
- 1 TBS coconut
- ½ TBS flax seed
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅔ cup water
- ½ TBS pure maple syrup
- In a half pint mason jar, combine oats, bananas, sliced almonds, coconut, and flax, Store until ready for use.
- Heating instructions: Add ⅔ cup of boiling water. Stir. Add ½ TBS of maple syrup. Enjoy!
- I have had A LOT of success getting my kids to eat things that I would have never expected by allowing them to help me “cook.” These jars are great for this.. put in a 1/2 cup of oatmeal and let them pick their fruit and add-ins.
- Make sure to purchase dehydrated fruit, not dried fruit. Dried fruit is chewy and really doesn’t taste all that great in oatmeal. Dehydrated fruit is completely hard until you add water, then it plumps right up and tastes great!
- So that cooper is able to make these independently, I marked a measuring cup with a permanent marker at 2/3 cups. This helps him know how much water to add.
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook . Check it out, if you like what you see.. follow?!
Fruit and Oat Breakfast Cookies:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!