4 Ingredient Pesto Chicken Bake is healthy, simple,delicious and requires just 5-minutes prep. Juicy chicken topped with fresh pesto, melty mozzarella and topped with vine ripened tomatoes.
With a new school year quickly approaching (as in happening in less than a week.. whaaa), I’ve been spending a decent amount of time trying to get as prepared as possible for the fact that within days.. bedtime for the boys will be 7:15.
Early bedtime is all fine and good, other than the fact that it means that dinner really needs to be on the table no later than 5:45. (yep, my kids can drag out the bedtime routine for a full hour without any trouble).
Full disclosure.. I suck at getting dinner on the table by 5:45.
Soooo, I’ve been working hard on creating simple weeknight recipes that the kids like and that can easily be prepped ahead (as in make all the meals on the weekend and then stick them in the oven throughout the week).
Please tell me I’m not the only one who struggles in the weeknight dinner department?
Just a few minutes ago, I pushed “go live” on my brand new E-course, Savvy Mama Meal Prep: Quick and Easy. It’s an online meal prepping program that is going to change the way you cook in the kitchen. In a nutshell, spend 45 minutes prepping 5 entrees that will feed a family of 4 for the entire school week.
And guess what.. THIS 4-Ingredient Pesto Chicken Bake made the top 5!
1 dish, 4 Ingredients, prep-friendly and freezable. How could I leave it out?
This recipe can literally be thrown together in 5 minutes or less.
Its my hands down favorite “real food for real life” meal and one of the most popular Simply Sissom recipes ever created.
Annnnnnd… waaaaaaay back in the day.. I made a video.
Not into video? I did the recipe with step-by-step instructions and pics too!
Check it out.
Coat chicken breasts in pesto and arrange them in a baking dish. If you don’t have homemade pesto, you can use store-bought, just check the ingredients and make sure there aren’t any wonky (<—– is that a word?) ingredients.
Top pesto coated chicken with mozzarella slices. Don’t use shredded.. it contains funky ingredients that keep it from sticking together (think wood pulp and yoga mat).
Add some fresh tomatoes to the top. I used Roma and they fit the chicken breasts perfectly!
Bake chicken in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Aaaaannnnddddd……. Dinner done.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: You can assemble this chicken pesto bake 1-2 days before baking. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Follow regular baking instructions!
Make Ahead: You can bake the chicken in advance (or eat it as leftovers)… disclaimer, it DEFINITELY tastes best straight from the oven.
Frozen: Double the recipe and freeze the extras. Coat chicken in pesto, arrange in freezer safe container and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese (the tomatoes should not be added until you are ready to bake the dish). Loosely place a piece of plastic wrap directly on chicken. Cover the entire dish with a second sheet of plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for 1-3 months!Print
4 Ingredient Pesto Chicken Bake
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 3 chicken breasts
- 3 chicken breasts, organic recommended
- 1 6 oz. jar basil pesto
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish.
- Use a spoon to cover chicken with pesto.
- Top each chicken breast with 1 slice of mozzarella cheese and 2 sliced tomatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Broil the chicken the final 2 minutes so that the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Store-bought pesto is great for when you are in a crunch, but making the real thing is SUPER SIMPLE and takes about 5 minutes. Check out my favorite pesto recipe HERE.
- Mozzarella should be purchased fresh. Pre-shredded versions are convenient but contain crazy stuff to prevent the cheese from sticking together.
- I always recommend purchasing organic meat, while the breasts tend to be smaller (the chickens haven’t been pumped full of growth hormones), I find that they cook more quickly and come out super tender. NOTE… if your chicken breasts are large (or even medium) sized, cook time may increase. To prevent this you can slice them horizontally to create 2 thinner pieces.
- Prep-Ahead recipes are my all time favorite! Join the BRAND NEW Simply Sissom Community Private FB Group and let’s meal prep together! Each week I share an exclusive recipe in the group via FB Live that is REALLY simple and make-ahead friendly. Join us!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
Recipes Like 4 Ingredient Chicken Pesto Bake:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!