4 Ingredient Pesto Chicken Bake is healthy, simple,delicious and requires just 5-minutes prep. Juicy chicken topped with fresh pesto, melty mozzarella and topped with vine ripened tomatoes.
Today I am bringing one of my all time favorite “Real Life Recipes” to the blog, 4 Ingredient Pesto Chicken Bake, and it’s yummy?.
1 dish + 4 ingredients = Delicious whole-food dinner!
You can literally throw this together in 5 minutes or less.
Best part… there’s a VIDEO!!!!!! Don’t be too harsh.. it’s a Simply Sissom first!!!
Sitting in a crowded room and trying to discretely play on your phone (aka.. no noisy videos desired at this time)..Check out the recipe in picture form ?:
Coat chicken breasts in pesto and arrange them in a baking dish. If you don’t have homemade pesto, you can use store-bought, just check the ingredients and make sure there aren’t any wonky (<—– is that a word?) ingredients.
Top pesto coated chicken with mozzarella slices. Don’t use shredded.. it contains funky ingredients that keep it from sticking together (think wood pulp and yoga mat ?).
Add some fresh tomatoes to the top. I used Roma and they fit the chicken breasts perfectly!
Bake chicken in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Aaaaannnnddddd……. Dinner done.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: You can assemble this chicken pesto bake 1-2 days before baking. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Follow regular baking instructions!
Make Ahead: You can bake the chicken in advance (or eat it as leftovers)… disclaimer, it DEFINITELY tastes best straight from the oven.
Frozen: Double the recipe and freeze the extras. Coat chicken in pesto, arrange in freezer safe container and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese (the tomatoes should not be added until you are ready to bake the dish). Loosely place a piece of plastic wrap directly on chicken. Cover the entire dish with a second sheet of plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for 1-3 months!Print
4 Ingredient Pesto Chicken Bake
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 3 chicken breasts
- 3 chicken breasts, organic recommended
- 1 6 oz. jar basil pesto
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish.
- Use a spoon to cover chicken with pesto.
- Top each chicken breast with 1 slice of mozzarella cheese and 2 sliced tomatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Broil the chicken the final 2 minutes so that the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Store-bought pesto is great for when you are in a crunch, but making the real thing is SUPER SIMPLE and takes about 5 minutes. Check out my favorite pesto recipe HERE.
- Mozzarella should be purchased fresh. Pre-shredded versions are convenient but contain crazy stuff to prevent the cheese from sticking together.
- I always recommend purchasing organic meat, while the breasts tends to me smaller (the chickens haven’t been pumped full of growth hormones), I find that they cook more quickly and come out super tender. NOTE… if your chicken breasts are large (or even medium) sized, cook time may increase.
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook . Check it out, if you like what you see.. follow?!
Recipes Like 4 Ingredient Chicken Pesto Bake:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!