Easy 20 Minute Bacon Honey Mustard Rice Bowls are simple to make, requiring just 7 ingredients and 1 pan. Loaded with tender broccoli, tangy chicken, and tons of flavor. A perfect healthy week night dinner.
Pin 20 Minute Bacon Honey Mustard Rice Bowls for later!
As predicted, it's been a "minute" since I last posted. Buuuuuuut, I have a great excuse.. Baby Cruz arrived October 12'th at 12:33 PM, weighing in at 7 lbs. 8 oz. and sporting a full head of jet black hair. We are totally smitten and have been adjusting to life with a newborn. You can read more about Cruz and how we've spent our time over the last month HERE.
Admittedly, I haven't been doing much blogging, photographing, etc. Dinner is happening on an almost nightly basis. It's NEVER fancy, but it's happening. For this phase of life, I'm calling that a win. Cooking with a newborn in the house has been a little trickier than I anticipated. First of all .. I'm tired. When I have downtime, I want to rest. Second of all.. going to the grocery store with 3 kids in tow, well.. that's no joke. I've been depending heavily on Kroger Click List (ordering groceries online and having them loaded into my car when I arrive). It costs $5.00 each time, but it is worth every single penny.
Which brings me to a major problem that I did not anticipate.. you guys, how in the world do you load 3 kids/carseats, a stroller AND a week's worth of groceries into your cars? My car is NOT small. It's an SUV with a third row (cause I got 3 kids/carseats), but when the third row is up there is NO ROOM FOR GROCERIES. I end up stashing them strategically around the entire vehicle. Therefore, carrying in groceries requires me to engage in a fun game of hide and seek ...grocery style! Sooooo...I've made the decision. I'm getting a mini van. I lasted exactly 3 weeks with 3 kids before throwing in the towel. Funniest part.. I CANNOT wait. We've been shopping around a little, and they are just so cool (in a 35 year old mom of 3 type of way). 16 year old me would be super disappointed with what I have become, but let's be honest, she never set foot in the grocery store.
I digress (talking about mini vans will do that to me) .. 20-Minute Bacon Honey Mustard Chicken Rice Bowls. Let's do this.
Meals have been repetitive and simple at my house. Funny thing is, nobody has been complaining. We've made LOTS of tacos, spaghetti and a few of my go-to Instant pot recipes over and over. These 20-Minute Bacon Honey Mustard Rice Bowls have also been on heavy rotation. They are actually an adaption from a pre-made kit that is sold at our Kroger. We liked it so much, I came up with my own interpretation that uses ingredients that are easier to find.
Things I LOVE about 20- Minute Bacon Honey Mustard Rice Bowls:
- 7 basic ingredients ... brown rice, chicken breast, bacon, honey, dijon mustard, radishes and broccolini
- 1 pot required
- 20 Minutes prep/cook time start to finish
- Make Ahead friendly and great for lunches throughout the week
- Tons of protein, complex carbs and fresh veggies, aka.. it's good for you.
- Whole family LOVES them (I deconstruct the boy's bowls instead of serving it all mixed up. (EX: a pile of chicken, a few pieces of broccoli and a small amount of brown rice).
To summarize.. I cannot get enough of these 20 Minute Bacon Honey Mustard Chicken Rice Bowls.
Go make em, dinner makers!
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: These bowls throw together very quickly so I don't ordinarily take the time to prep for this recipe. That said, if you really want to get ahead of the game, you can pre-cook the bacon (reserve the grease for cooking veggies/chicken). You can also pre-chop the broccoli and radishes.
Make Ahead: I LOVE making this recipe ahead of time. This recipe tastes great when reheated. I often double the recipe, serve ½ for dinner and save the remaining half to enjoy for lunches throughout the week.
Freezer: Veggies that have been cooked don't do well in the freezer. For this reason.. this recipe isn't freezer friendly. I do use frozen pre-cooked brown rice for the recipe to save a little time. You can purchase this in your freezer section or make your own and freeze it in small batches to use as needed.
20 Minute Bacon Honey Mustard Rice Bowls
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 Bowls 1x
- 5 bacon strips
- 1 lb. diced chicken breast
- 1 head baby broccolini
- ½ cup chopped radishes
- 2 cups brown rice, prepared (I purchase pre-cooked in freezer-section)
- 3 Tbs water
- ⅓ cup dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tsp honey
- Heat skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until crispy. Remove from skillet to cool. Set aside. Reserve bacon grease in pan for cooking veggies and chicken.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan containing the bacon grease. While chicken begins to cook, cut stalks of baby broccolini from the heads and add the stalks to the pan with the chicken. Cook chicken 2-3 minutes, or until a golden crust forms. Flip chicken.
- After flipping chicken, add broccolini heads and radishes to the skillet. Cover with a lid and continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove lid and lower heat to medium-low. Add brown rice, 3 Tbs water, dijon mustard and honey. Continue cooking until all ingredients are heated through and veggies are tender crisp, about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and serve immediately.
- Prep-Ahead recipes are my all time favorite! Join the BRAND NEW Simply Sissom Community Private FB Group and let’s meal prep together! Each week I share an exclusive recipe in the group via FB Live that is REALLY simple and make-ahead friendly. Join us!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
Recipes Like 20 Minute Bacon Honey Mustard Rice Bowls:
Lemon-Garlic Spaghetti with Burst Tomatoes and Chicken Sausage:
Twice Baked Mexican Sweet Potatoes:
Leave a Reply