Healthy Chicken Burrito Bowls with Cilantro-Lime Dressing starts with a layer of leafy romaine and is topped with LOADS of whole-food ingredients like juicy tomatoes, fresh Summer corn, seasoned brown rice and spicy Mexican inspired chicken. Drizzle a bit of tangy cilantro lime vinaigrette and you've got Fresh. Filling. Delicious. in under 30 minutes.
Pin Chicken Burrito Bowls with Cilantro-Lime Dressing for later!
I love giant fancy salads loaded with crazy combinations, elaborate dressings and swanky food stuff, but in real life, they are kinda abhorrent to make. These chicken burrito bowls are simple, quick and fuss-free, because I 1000% believe that practical, realistic, ready in 30 minutes recipes are the best kind.
You know those times when cooking is just hard? Lately - meal time has been been just that. Not hard as in physically difficult - hard as in, " I just don't want to do it." I mean when it really comes down to it, there are days that I would prefer to just do the eating part. Aaaahhh... dreams.
Harsh reality.. If I don't cook, nobody around here is gonna pick up the slack, aaannnnnd apparently my family expects dinner Every. Single. Night.
I don't know why I haven't posted this recipe sooner. It's one of my real-life go to dinner solutions when I REALLY don't want to spend time in the kitchen, but don't REALLY have an excuse not to. The ingredients are totally customizable. Want to live a little and add some cheese? Do it! Do you have kids that gag at the mere mention of anything green? Take out the lettuce and skip on the cilantro-lime dressing. You get the idea. These chicken burrito bowls are simple, requiring only 30 minutes start to finish. Bonus? The leftovers make a great lunch for the next day.. so it's a 2 birds with 1 stone type situation.
Frequently Asked Questions About Chicken Burrito Bowls:
What Is In A Chicken Burrito Bowl?
A chicken burrito bowl can be many different things to many different people. This version is loaded with spicy Mexican style chicken thighs, fresh Romaine lettuce, corn right off the cob, cherry tomatoes and cilantro-lime rice and topped with a tangy dressing. Salsa, guacamole, cheese and sour cream all all optional additions, but not necessary in my opinion!
Can A Chicken Burrito Bowl Be Made In Advance:
Not only can this recipe be made in advance, I recommend it! There is nothing better than having dinner assembled and hanging out in the refrigerator. These particular burrito bowls will keep for 2-3 days covered when covered and refrigerated. Do NOT add the cilantro-lime dressing until you are ready to eat. It will wilt the lettuce.
You could also choose to prep only certain components ahead of time. The brown rice, corn and chicken can all be made in advance. This will help you cut down on assembly time when it's time to serve the burrito bowls.
Can Cilantro-Lime Dressing Be Made in Advance?
Absolutely. This chicken burrito bowl isn't the only thing that I like to top with this yummy dressing. It's great in wraps, on veggies or even as a dip. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days (but do check the expiration date on your yogurt).
Can I substitute chicken breast for the chicken thighs?
100%. I like the chicken thighs because they are so moist and flavorful, but chicken breast is definitely a leaner option. I also think this salad would be great with taco meat, steak or even grilled shrimp!
Healthy Chicken Burrito Bowls with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 large chicken burrito bowls 1x
- Category: Main Meal
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
FOR THE CILANTRO-LIME DRESSING:
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
FOR THE CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS:
- olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken thighs
- 2 Tbs. taco seasoning
- (1) 3-pack Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 4 ears of corn, shucked
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups frozen brown rice
- 1 lime
- 3 Tbs. cilantro, minced
- DRESSING: Puree all Cilantro-Lime Dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender. There will be small flecks of cilantro that are visible.
- CHICKEN: Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with a thin layer of olive oil. While oil heats, pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle taco seasoning over both sides of chicken thigh. Add chicken to pan. Cook for 12-15 minutes (flipping halfway through cooking) or until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Remove chicken from skillet, dice and set aside.
- CORN: While the chicken cooks, heat a pot containing enough water to cover the corn cobs over high heat. Once water boils, add corn and turn down heat to medium. Allow corn to cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Use tongs to remove the corn from the pot and immediately place it under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Use a sharp knife to remove the corn kernels from the cob. Set corn aside.
- RICE: Cook the rice according to package instructions. Place warm rice into a medium size mixing bowl. Add minced cilantro, the juice of 1 lime and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to incorporate.
- ASSEMBLY: To each bowl, add ¼ of the Romaine, ¼ of the corn, ¼ of the slice cherry tomatoes, ¼ o the diced chicken. Drizzle with cilantro-lime dressing.
- Adding a little salsa, sour cream or ranch dressing is a great way to add even more flavor to the salad.
- Nutrition Information does not include cilantro-lime dressing
Keywords: Chicken Burrito Bowl, Cilantro-Lime Dressing
Let’s Be Friends:
You can find Simply Sissom on Instagram where I share even more recipes (some that aren’t on the blog), behind the scenes pics and videos AND tips and tricks to make healthy eating realistic for your busy family.
Recipes Like Healthy Chicken Burrito Bowls with Cilantro-Lime Rice:
Cheddar BBQ Shrimp and Grits with Garlicky Greens:
3-Ingredient Hummus Crusted Chicken:
I made this but instead of taco seasoning I marinated the chicken in a mixture of cilantro, garlic, chilies, lime and roasted tomatoes and baked them (chicken breasts). Fabulous recipe, thanks!
Bailey Sissom says
Yum! Your marinade sounds delicious!