Whole-Food Breakfast Burritos are simple to make and freezer friendly. Homemade turkey sausage, light fluffy eggs, tender crisp veggies and seasoned potatoes combine to create the perfect grab-n-go breakfast option.
FACT: If you fall asleep in bed watching The Good Wife on your phone (with headphones out of courtesy to the hubs) your alarm clock will go off, but it will sound through your headphones. This only presents a problem if sometime during the night, you removed said headphones in your sleep?.
Yep.. interesting morning. I woke up with negative 7 minutes to get Cooper dressed, fed, and out the door. Totally stress free situation, lol.
If I’m being honest, we are frequently rushing around in the morning. This can usually be attributed to my snooze button.. who invented that anyway? If you have followed this blog for any amount of time you know that I am not a morning person. I know this about myself, and for that reason I am a LOVER of grab-and-go breakfasts.
Cooper may have been a bit wrinkled, wearing 2 different socks, and transported by a mother wearing her pajamas… but he he ate a healthy whole-food breakfast burrito on the way (small victories ?).
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
PREP: There are lots of way that you can break this recipe up into manageable chunks.
- Prepare and cook turkey sausage ahead of time (you can store in the fridge until you are ready to assemble burritos)
- Prepare breakfast potatoes – they can also be stored in fridge.
FREEZER: Make recipe according to directions. Wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap and place in a labeled ziplock bag. Store in freezer. To re-heat – remove plastic wrap, wrap burrito in a paper towel and microwave for 1-2 minutes until warmed through. That’s it! If you are opposed to using the microwave you could definitely heat them up in the oven, although I have never in my life had enough time to pre-heat the oven and bake something in the morning!
- 4 Russet Potatoes (you can swap sweet potatoes if desired)
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ TBS taco seasoning (I used homemade- recipe in helpful hints section below)
- 1-2 TBS olive oil
- Turkey Sausage (I used homemade- recipe in helpful hints section below)
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup organic white cheddar, shredded
- 16 large whole wheat tortillas
- BREAKFAST POTATOES: Wash and poke holes in the potatoes. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes, or until fork tender. Dice warm potatoes into ½ inch cubes. In a large skillet, heat 1 TBS of butter and add peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until onions begin to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add potatoes, taco seasoning, and olive oil. Mix. Press potatoes firmly into the pan. Allow them to cook for 5-7 minutes until they become golden and crispy. Do not stir. Use a spatula to flip potatoes. Cook 5-7 additional minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- EGG SAUSAGE MIXTURE:In the same skillet, brown the turkey sausage until no longer pink. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over cooked sausage. Add cheddar cheese. Cook over medium heat until eggs are light and fluffy. Use a rubber spatula to prevent eggs from sticking to the bottom and sides of pan (it will be VERY full). Cook until eggs are light and fluffy.. about 10 minutes.
- ASSEMBLEY: Warm tortillas in the microwave to make sure that they are soft and pliable. To each tortilla add egg/sausage mixture and sprinkle with breakfast potatoes. Wrap em up! See freezer instructions above for how to store). Enjoy!
- Homemade Turkey Sausage Recipe
- Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- Bell peppers, milk, cheese, and ground turkey should be bought organic when possible.
- Eggs.. It is best to buy local, but not always possible. If purchasing at the grocery store look for organic and pasteurized. For more info about purchasing eggs click here.
- Whole wheat tortillas can be a little tough to work with. They aren’t as sturdy as their white flour counterparts. Make sure not to overfill the tortillas, and make sure that they are warm when you are wrapping up the burritos. This helps them to be more pliable.
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook . Check it out, if you like what you see.. follow.
More Grab and Go Breakfast Recipes You Might Enjoy!
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!