Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos are simple to make, requiring just 8 ingredients. Easy to make, simple to customize and perfect for hectic, chaotic weekday mornings.
FACT: If you fall asleep in bed watching The Good Wife on your phone (with headphones out of courtesy to the hubs) your alarm clock will sound through your headphones.
Soooo… if your headphones come out of your ears at some point throughout the night.. well, you’re screwed.
Yep.. interesting morning. I woke up with negative 7 minutes to get Cooper dressed, fed and out the door. Totally stress free situation,lol.
If I’m being honest, we are frequently rushing around in the morning. This can usually be attributed to my snooze button.. who invented that anyway? If you have followed this blog for any amount of time you know that I am not a morning person. I know this about myself and for that reason, I am a LOVER of grab-and-go breakfasts.
Cooper may have been a bit wrinkled, wearing 2 different socks and transported by a mother wearing mismatched pajamas… but, he he ate a healthy whole-food breakfast burrito on the way (small victory, I’ll take it).
These Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos are perfection on multiple levels…
A) They are portable (aka.. breakfast in the car, no problem).
B) They are made with super basic ingredients so EVERYONE loves them.
C) They’re quick to make. Stocking up the freezer with these guys is Not. A. Problem.
Not only are they great travelers made with simple freezer-friendly ingredients, BUT they are loaded with protein (I see you breakfast sausage AND eggs), nutrients and whole-grains.
How To Cut Some Calories:
- No question, breakfast sausage ups the flavor factor in these burritos, but you can reduce the amount of calories by more than half by making your own homemade turkey sausage.
- Adding veggies to the meat mixture is a great way to up the nutrients and to stretch the amount of burritos that you can make with 1 lb. of sausage (aka.. save a little cash).
- I know, cheese + burrito = MATCH. Buuuut, leaving out the cheese will reduce the calories in these breakfast burritos by a minimum of 80 calories.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
PREP: Prepare and cook turkey sausage ahead of time (you can store in the fridge until you are ready to assemble burritos). You can also chop the red pepper and onions a day or two ahead of time.
MAKE AHEAD: These burritos don’t do very well in the refrigerator. They get soggy. If you do have extra, it is recommended that you go ahead and get them frozen.
FREEZER: That’s the idea! To freeze, follow recipe directions as written. To thaw, pop frozen burritos into the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until warmed through. If you avoid the microwave, burritos can also be cooked in the oven.Print
Whole-Food Breakfast Burritos – Freezer Friendly
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 10 burritos
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage (I use my homemade turkey sausage)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs butter
- 10 thin slices of white cheddar cheese
- 10 100% whole-grain tortillas
Breakfast Sausage Mixture:
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add breakfast sausage, red peppers and onion. Cook until meat is no longer pink and veggies are tender. Stir frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until blended.
- Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Pour in egg mixture. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with a spatula forming curds.
- Continue cooking – pulling, lifting and folding eggs – until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Don’t stir constantly. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Place 1 slice of cheese in the center of each tortilla. Add the egg and sausage mixture. Fold the sides into the center of the tortilla and then roll into a burrito. Burritos can be individually wrapped in parchment paper or foil or placed into an airtight zipper bag.
Calories are calculated based on using turkey breakfast sausage.
- Homemade Turkey Sausage Recipe
- Bell peppers, milk, cheese, and ground turkey should be bought organic when possible.
- Eggs.. It is best to buy local, but not always possible. If purchasing at the grocery store look for organic and pasteurized. For more info about purchasing eggs click here.
- Whole wheat tortillas can be a little tough to work with. They aren’t as sturdy as their white flour counterparts. Make sure not to overfill the tortillas, and make sure that they are warm when you are wrapping up the burritos. This helps them to be more pliable.
- Prep-Ahead recipes are my all time favorite! Join the BRAND NEW Simply Sissom Community Private FB Group and let’s meal prep together! Each week I share an exclusive recipe in the group via FB Live that is REALLY simple and make-ahead friendly. Join us!
- Want to prep 5 whole-food meals for a family of 4 in just 45 minutes? Check out my new program, Savvy Mama Meal Prep: Quick and Easy. Use code SMMP50 to save 50%.
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
Posts Like Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!