Hearty Pumpkin Pie Bars are a fun twist on traditional pumpkin pie. Crunchy oat n’ almond crust topped with classic pumpkin filling. #wholefood #glutenfree
I’m going to start this post out with a super honest statement.
Do NOT make these Hearty Pumpkin Pie Bars for Thanksgiving. They will disappoint.
I know what you’re thinking, but wait.. hear me out!
My original plan for this recipe was to create something similar to my Pecan Pie Slabs. You know, a super simple alternative to a traditional pie, AKA… NO crust but all the taste. Didn’t work out. This crust is hearty, dense, filling, nutty and Really. Really. Really. good, buuuuuuut… it is not pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie’s crust is light, flaky and wonderful in it’s own right. Calling this the same thing.. well, I would be setting you up for disappointment.
These are breakfast bar meets Fall. Leave off the whip cream (I just thought it made the pics pretty😜) and you have a pumpkin pie spin-off that is truly interchangeable with a more traditional breakfast or snack bar. I mean why can’t we put pumpkin pie filling on All. The. Things? Pumpkin isn’t just for tasting amazing.. it’s actually good for you. Good for you as in … it’s considered a superfood. Who knew? It’s full of fiber, iron, potassium, all the important stuff.
Ok.. to wrap it all up. Hearty pumpkin bars are not a replacement for pie.
Do not serve it on Thanksgiving for dessert. (Can you tell I’m working really hard not to take the fall for a dessert failure at someone’s family Thanksgiving gathering?)
Do serve it for lunches, work parties, pot-lucks, post dinner treat, after school snacks etc. You know… absolutely any time but Thanksgiving😜.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: Both the crust and the pumpkin pie filling can be made a day in advance. For the crust, bake, cool and cover. For the filling, follow recipe directions and store covered in the refrigerator. When you’re ready for pie.. assemble and bake!
Make-Ahead: You bet.. these pumpkin bars lasted 3 days at my house and tasted just as delicious after being refrigerated as they did the day I made them.
Freezer: I haven’t given this a shot.. my family ate them too quickly. With that said.. I don’t really see why it wouldn’t work. If you try it, let us know how it goes in the comments!
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup almonds
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 TBS coconut sugar
- 4½ TBS butter, melted
- ¾ cup packed coconut sugar
- 1¾ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 375 and line an 8x8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- To the bowl of a food processor, add oats, almonds, salt, coconut sugar and butter. Pulse until the texture is the consistency of sand (you don't want chunks). Spread mixture into prepared baking dish and press down into an even layer. Bake for 12 minutes.
- While crust is baking, add coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice, slat, milk, egg whites, egg and pumpkin to a large mixing bowl. Whisk or beat until fully incorporated.
- Spread filling onto crust and bake at 350 for 35-35 minutes, or until the edges are browned and pulling away from the pan and the center is mostly firm.
- Allow bars to cool before slicing.
- When forming the crust you MUST make sure it is packed tightly into the baking dish. You can use the bottom side of a glass or a rubber spatula to really get it in there.
- I used Bob’s Red Mill, Gluten Free Oats. The result was perfect and I like knowing that my oats come from a company that uses high quality ingredients. (NOTE: <— This is NOT a sponsored post, I just LOVE Bob’s Red Mill products!).
- I used Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin Puree. Make sure NOT to purchase pumpkin pie filling, it’s not the same! (Again.. not sponsored, just trying to save you some time reading labels).
- Looking for more simple whole-food meals? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! I add new pins from my favorite bloggers around the web daily.
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Check it out, if you like what you see.. follow.
Recipes like Hearty Pumpkin Pie Bars:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!