Simple Garlic Smashed Potatoes are the perfect throw dish for busy weeknights. Tender golden potatoes are smashed, topped with olive oil, garlic and thyme and then roasted until crispy. A delicious gluten-free and vegan appetizer or side dish!
Quickest. Side Dish. Ever.
Simple Garlic Smashed Potatoes.. it’s a good one.
And you guys, I pinkie promise something: these are the easiest ever. I mean nothing deserves the easiest badge of honor like a recipe that can be made on a Thursday night AFTER soccer practice with 2 hungry (read mean) little sous chefs assisting.
And it’s a complete bonus for all involved in said family dinner when “easiest ever” also translates to fantastically delicious, right? The crispy texture of the potato skins and the buttery soft insides that contain a hint of warm roasted garlic has made this recipe a go-to around our house.
Hint.. I don’t sprinkle rosemary over the boys potatoes as they find little green sprinkles on their food to be horrifying. That said.. don’t skip it for the grown-ups. It adds just the right amount of freshness to this dish.
As mentioned, these Simple Garlic Smashed Potatoes are easy to make, requiring just 6-ingredients and 20 minutes (if you par-boil the potatoes) to make!
The concept is simple. Boil potatoes until tender (you can do this 1-3 days in advance). Then use a fork to smash until almost flat. All that’s left.. add a little EVOO and seasoning and roast until crispy and golden brown. The result, quick dinner side dish perfection
These guys make a delightful hearty snack, side dish or even appetizer (just drizzle some basil pesto over the top to up the fancy factor).
Time Saving Tips and Tricks
Prep: Yes! Prep is really important for this recipe if you want it to come together quickly. All you need to do is par-boil the potatoes ahead of time. No worries, it’s not as difficult as it sounds. Just lightly salt a large pot of water and bring to a boil Once water boils, add the potatoes. Cook until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain potatoes and allow to cool. Once potatoes are cool, store them in a plastic zipper bag or container in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve dinner. By doing this step ahead of time you make throwing this side dish together a breeze!
Make Ahead: I always find that potatoes taste best fresh from the oven. With that said, you can definitely reheat these guys and serve them up without getting any complaints.
Freezer: The freezer is a perfect place to store the prepped version of this recipe. To freeze, follow recipe directions through step 3 (boil and smash). Do not roast. Place smashed potatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer. Freeze for 3-4 hours or until frozen through. Remove baking sheet from freezer and place frozen smashed potatoes into an airtight zipper bag or container. Store in the freezer for up to 1 month. To thaw, simply place in the refrigerator overnight and then finish up the potatoes according to recipe instructions.Print
Herb Roasted Smashed Potatoes
Simple, 30- Minute Herb Roasted Smashed Potatoes is the perfect weeknight side dish. Loaded with flavor, garlic and seasonings!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound 1″-diameter baby potatoes
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tbs thyme (or any other type of fresh herb available)
- Heat oven to 425. Lightly oil a baking sheet, and boil a large pot of salted water.
- Once water boils, add potatoes. Cook until tender (15-20 minutes).
- Place potatoes onto prepared baking sheet. Use fork to flatten potatoes (keep in one piece).
- Top with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven and top with fresh thyme (or desired herb).
- You can use any small potato for this recipe, but I like to use golden potatoes.
- Fresh thyme is obviously preferable (and prettiest), but in a pinch you can sprinkle any fresh herb you have on hand ,or even use a dried version.
- Prep-Ahead recipes are my all time favorite! Join the BRAND NEW Simply Sissom Community Private FB Group and let’s meal prep together! Each week I share an exclusive recipe in the group via FB Live that is REALLY simple and make-ahead friendly. Join us!
- Want to prep 5 whole-food meals for a family of 4 in just 45 minutes? Check out my new program, Savvy Mama Meal Prep: Quick and Easy. Use code SMMP50 to save 50%.
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
Posts like Simple Garlic Smashed Potatoes:
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!