Easy Chunky Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins are moist, flavorful and naturally sweetened, loaded with wholesome ingredients and studded with chocolate.
Pin Chunky Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins for later!
Remember that Salted Pumpkin Spice Syrup I made recently? If not, you should check it out, STAT.
As promised, the next week or 2 are going to be spent sharing recipes that will help you make All. The. Things. into salted pumpkin spice latte'd delights. And then... I'm done. No more pumpkin based baking. (this year) Pinky promise.
But for now... back to back pumpkin recipes. And truthfully, I'm not even sorry about it. Tis' the season!
NOTE: You can get the recipe for the syrup and details for all 3 recipes emailed to you in a cute little PDF by clicking HERE or the image below.
The secret to all of these quick and simple Fall inspired treats? You guessed it.. Salted Pumpkin Spice Latte Syrup. Make a batch (it only takes about 5 minutes), store it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, THEN use it as the base for these Chocolate Chunk Pumpkin Cookies, Real Food Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Pumpkin Spiced Baked Oatmeal. With the majority of the spices and sweetener mixed into the syrup, throwing these recipes together couldn't be simpler. ** lattes and oatmeal recipes will be posted next week
But, clearly I'm getting ahead of myself.
Today, easy Chunky Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins that are moist, flavorful, naturally sweetened, loaded with wholesome ingredients and studded with giant chunks of dark chocolate. Truthfully, these muffins alone are worth whipping up the pumpkin spice syrup. Best part, they come together in less than 30 minutes start to finish.
If you're looking for a traditional pumpkin muffin recipe (with a few healthy swaps) to help you get back to the basics of life, food, and cozy-delicious Fall flavors, these simple, basic, super moist pumpkin muffins have got your back.
Time Saving Tips and Tricks
Prep: These muffins come together so quickly due to the salted pumpkin spice syrup. This can (and should) be prepped ahead of time (and used for lots of other recipes - see post for more info).
Make Ahead: These muffins taste great for up 4 days if refrigerated. I assume that they would last longer, but I haven’t been able to keep them around long enough to find out.
Freezer: Yes! They are freezable. Arrange baked muffins on a cookie sheet. Freeze for 1-2 hours until frozen through. Remove muffins from the cookie sheet and place them into a labeled and dated Ziplock bag. Heat them in the microwave or oven as you need them or allow to thaw in the fridge overnight.Print
Chunky Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 Muffins 1x
Easy Chunky Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins are moist, flavorful and naturally sweetened. Loaded with wholesome ingredients and studded with chocolate.
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 6 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup salted pumpkin spice syrup
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½- ¾ cup dark chocolate chunks/chips
- Heat oven to 350. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners, or skip the liners and grease the cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until combined.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree, salted pumpkin spice syrup and vanilla.
- Stir in the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chunks. Stir until just incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups so they are ¾ of the way full.
- Place the muffin tin in the oven. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire baking rack to finish cooling.
Sometimes it hard quality find dark chocolate in "chip form." You can purchase a chocolate bar and break it into chunks if necessary.
Let's Be Friends:
- Prep-Ahead recipes are my all time favorite! Join the BRAND NEW Simply Sissom Community Private FB Group and let’s meal prep together! Each week I share an exclusive recipe in the group via FB Live that is REALLY simple and make-ahead friendly. Join us!
- Want to prep 5 whole-food meals for a family of 4 in just 45 minutes? Check out my new program, Savvy Mama Meal Prep: Quick and Easy. Use code SMMP50 to save 50%.
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow!
Posts like Chunky Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
Healthy 1-Bowl Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread:
Naturally Sweetened Pumpkin Spice Granola:
I am so glad you posted. utritional Info. I cannot use the recipe as stated, as I have elevated cholesterol. 46.3 mg of cholesterol per serving. ?? IS there is a way to reduce it ? I hope that somebody has tried to make this recipe cholesterol friendly.
Bailey Sissom says
Hi Mira. I can offer a couple suggestions that "should" work to lower the amount of butter (aka cholesterol), BUT... please note baking is finicky and I haven't actually tried these suggestions. They may not work. That said, maybe try subbing 1/2 the butter for applesauce or yogurt?
Hello, I do not see where or how much chocolate to add to this?
Bailey Sissom says
Thank you so much for pointing that out. Add 1/2 -3/4 cup of dark chocolate chunks. I am fixing the recipe now.
Great! thank you so much!