Healthy Air Fryer Egg Rolls contain a fraction of the fat and calories found in traditional deep fried pork eggs rolls. Simple to make, requiring 8 ingredients and about 15 minutes prep.
Ground turkey browned with garlic and ginger + sautéed veggies hanging out with a sauce that boasts ALL the umami flavors. Pure magic.
This recipe is so much healthier than it's traditional counterpart (you drop about ⅓ of the calories and fat by skipping on the deep frying and swapping turkey for pork). Crispy, savory, dip-able AND healthier ... what's not to love??
Made this for dinner tonight! So easy and both hubby and I loved it. He requested that I add it to our regular rotation. We'll for sure be having it again!-Sarah W.
All the flavor of your favorite Chinese take-out egg rolls, but make it healthy!
This recipe was inspired by this egg roll in a bowl recipe that has been a family favorite for years. The filling is the same, we are adding in some egg roll wrappers and popping these guys into the air fryer instead of serving atop rice. These egg rolls pair really well with Chicken Fried (Cauliflower) Rice. Serve the 2 together and you've got everything you love when you order take-out, but considerably less calories, fat and salt.
- sesame oil
- minced garlic
- Chinese 5-spice
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- ground turkey or pork
- coleslaw mix
- shredded carrots
- egg roll wrappers
- non-stick spray
See recipe card for quantities.
🥶 How To Freeze Egg Rolls
Egg rolls are great for freezing. The process is very simple and they reheat perfectly.
- Step 1: Assemble and cook egg rolls according to the recipe directions. Allow baked/fried egg rolls to cool completely.
- Step 2: Arrange egg rolls into a single layer on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Place in freezer for 2-3 hours or until frozen through. The parchment paper will ensure that the egg rolls don't stick to the pan.
- Step 3: Remove frozen egg rolls from baking sheet and freezer in a freezer safe container or bag. If using a container, you may want to wrap egg rolls in an extra layer of plastic wrap. If using a bag, make sure to remove all air.
🥘 How do you cook frozen egg rolls?
Egg rolls can be reheated using the air fryer. Place frozen egg rolls into a single layer and cook for 6-8 minutes at 370 degrees, flipping ½ way through. NOTE: cooking time and temp may vary slightly depending on your air fryer brand.
If your egg rolls are getting too dark on the outside, slice them in half to help the filling warm faster.
Step 1: Make the egg roll filling. Start with a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger. Once fragrant, add Chinese 5-spice, soy sauce and ground meat to the skillet. When meat is no longer pink, add coleslaw mix and carrots. Cook until veggies are tender.
Step 2: Wrap up those egg rolls. It's WAAAAY easier than it looks. By your 3rd roll, you will be a pro! Check out the video below for step by step directions.
Step 3: Lightly spray the Air Fryer basket and the egg rolls. This keeps them from sticking to the basket and provides CRUNCH to the outside of the egg rolls.
Step 4: Pop the egg rolls into the air fryer. Each air fryer will vary a bit, but somewhere between 6-8 minutes should get it done.
Hint: Do NOT overcrowd the air-fryer basket. Cook in batches. The egg rolls need space to crisp up or the result will be soggy wrappers.
🎥 Watch how to wrap an egg roll
These egg rolls are extremely versatile. Swap out the veggies and protein from the recipe for what you have on hand.
- Turkey - instead of turkey, you can use ground pork or chicken
- Coleslaw Mix -use broccoli slaw instead of traditional cabbage based slaw
- Vegetarian - meat can be replaced with a plant-based protein like tofu to make this vegetarian
- Gluten-Free - liquid aminos can be subbed for the soy sauce and egg roll wrappers can be exchanged for a bed of cauliflower rice to make this gluten-free
🍲Helpful tips for making Egg Rolls
- Cover Egg Roll Wrappers with a damp paper towel once opened. This helps to prevent them from drying out which can cause cracking.
- Don't skip the cornstarch slurry. This mixture seals the egg roll closed and makes sure that the filling stays inside in the air fryer.
- Save time by purchasing pre-prepped ingredients. You can swap garlic paste for fresh minced garlic; purchase pre-grated ginger (huge time saver) and definitely go for a cole-slaw mix in place of slicing carrots and cabbage.
Egg rolls can be refrigerated for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container. To reheat, stick them back into your air fryer at a low-temp for 2-5 minutes. Watch them closely as they can burn quickly.
Egg rolls can frozen for up to 3 months. See "how to freeze egg rolls" on this post for step-by-step directions.
Sweet Chile Sauce is our favorite! A quick google search will bring up some simple recipes OR you can purchase in the Interactional Aisle at your local grocery store.
If your egg roll wrappers look like they are burning, lower your heat to 350 degrees. You can also slice the egg rolls in half so that the filling heats more quickly.
They can! They will keep for 1-2 days. Follow recipe directions, allow egg rolls to cool and then store in an airtight container. To reheat, pop them back into the air fryer for 4-6 minutes or until crispy and heated through.
Healthier Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 16 Egg Rolls 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Asian
Healthier Air Fryer Egg Rolls contain a fraction of the fat and calories found in traditional deep fried pork eggs rolls. Simple to make, requiring 8 ingredients and about 15 minutes prep.
- 1 Tbs Sesame Oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1” ginger, grated
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice
- 2.5 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 lb. ground turkey or pork
- 1 12 oz.package coleslaw mix
- 16 egg roll wrappers (located in refrigerated section of grocery)
- cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch + 1 tablespoon water mixed)
- olive oil spray
FOR THE FILLING:
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add the Chinese five-spice, soy sauce, rice vinegar and ground meat to the skillet. Use a wooden spoon to break apart the meat and ensure that the spices are evenly distributed throughout. Cook until meat is no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the coleslaw mix and continue stirring until veggies are tender. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
ASSEMBLE EGG ROLLS:
- Lay an egg roll wrapper onto a clean flat surface. Place filling diagonally in on wrapper.
- Fold the bottom corner over filling; roll tightly half-way to cover the filling.
- Fold in both sides tightly against the filling. Use the cornstarch slurry to moisten the edges of the last remaining flap.
- Roll up and seal last corner.
- Place egg roll seam side down on a baking sheet and cover with a moist paper towel. Repeat process for each egg roll.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket and the egg rolls with the olive oil spray. Arrange egg rolls into a single layer in the prepared basket (you will probably have to cook 2-3 batches depending on the size of your air fryer).
- Cook at 370 degrees for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking process. Keep an eye on your egg rolls as each air fryer cooks a little differently and your egg rolls will burn quickly.
TO FREEZE: These egg rolls are freezer-friendly. Cook according to recipe directions and allow to cool. Once cooled, arrange egg rolls into a single layer on a parchment covered baking sheet and freeze for 3 hours. Remove frozen egg rolls from freezer and store in an airtight freezer bag for up to 2 months.
TO SERVE FROM FROZEN: Place frozen egg rolls back into the air fryer at 370 degrees for 6-8 minutes.
Keywords: Egg Roll, Air Fryer
Leave a Reply