Hearty, 1-bowl White Chicken Chili has seasoned chicken, white beans, tons veggies and a creamy cornmeal base. Perfect served with a shredded Vermont White Cheddar, guacamole and corn chips.
Making this white bean turkey Chili was my sole Sunday accomplishment, unless you count binge watching The Good Wife on Netflix.. which I could make a case for, season 3 ✅. So. Good.
After a full Saturday packed with endless activities and commitments.. an afternoon of laziness is acceptable, right??? Please say yes.
Don't get me wrong, our Saturday was awesome.. until it wasn't.
After a full day of soccer games, and birthday partying we left a family dinner at my sister's house around 10:00 PM in a "BLAZE OF GLORY." AKA .. 2 wailing children, each thrown over one of Joe's shoulders. Yep, definitely should have made a graceful exit about 15 minutes earlier, but there were adults there, and we were talking, alone, while the children played beautifully together. I think I speak for all parents when I say, these types of situations MUST be taken advantage of. Always. Without exception.
If you want to get technical (which in this case I think that we definitely should), I actually made 2 ENTIRE dinners (+ extra for the freezer) on Sunday in addition to catching up my Netflix Queue.
You see, I believe that chili should only be made in hugely large batches. I doubled the recipe (ensuring that I don't have to make dinner tomorrow) and still had tons left for the freezer. I freeze it in single portions (mason jars work really well). It's awesome for school lunches or a last minute dinner. This could definitely come in handy in the future.. The Good Wife does have 7 seasons!
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: CHOP YOUR VEGGIES before you start making the chili. You can do this 1-3 days in advance. Just store in the fridge in an airtight Ziplock bag.
Make Ahead: YES! This chili only gets better with age (to a point.. then it's just nasty?.. use judgement).
Freezer: This is a perfect recipe to double. Personally I could eat chili every night of the week, but around the 3rd time in a row that I serve it for dinner I get accused of getting lazy. Freeze half the batch in a freezer safe container, pull it out later, and be SNEAKY lazy:)
White Chicken Chili
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ Cup Corn Starch
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 2 15 oz. cans of white beans (I used Butter Beans and Great Northern Beans)
- 5-6 Cups of Chicken Broth
- 1 ½ TBS Cumin
- ¾ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine milk and corn starch. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat butter over medium heat. Add butter. When butter is melted completely, add onion, garlic and red pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until onions are translucent. Stir frequently.
- To the pot, add chicken, chicken broth (start with 5 cups and add more if needed),beans, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the milk/cornstarch mixture and frozen corn. Cook an additional 10 minutes or until soup is desired consistency. The longer you cook, the thicker it will get.
- I strongly recommend that you prep all of your veggies prior to beginning this recipe. Get the hard part over with.
- If you want a spicier version of this chili add a can of green chilies.
- When possible purchase organic ground turkey (I find mine at Whole Foods or Kroger).
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook . Check it out, if you like what you see.. follow.
Similar to White Chicken Chili:
1o Healthy Whole Food Crockpot Recipes:
Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup:
Thick and Chunky Vegetable Soup:
Leave a Reply