Quality time with my boys consists of making truck noises, driving trains, shooting basketball, kicking around the soccer ball, and now, CAMPING.
I’m not what you would call an outdoorsy person. People who know me would laugh at my name even being used in a sentence with the word. I find the outdoors to be full of lethal animals, poisonous plants, bugs, and dirt.
I’m going anyway.
Yep, being the only female resident in the fraternity house that I call home has drastically impacted my girly girl ways.
My idealistic self has visions of our family cheerfully gathering fire wood, fishing in a little stream for our dinner, singing around the campfire, roasting s’mores, the whole bit. My realistic self knows that it’s going to be A LOT OF WORK. According to Cooper, my 4 year old, there is no need to worry about packing food because his Dad is a professional fisherman. Um no. I hope they catch dinner, I really do, but just in case I’m going to have these yummy chicken fajita foil packs on hand!
Tender flavorful veggies, marinated chicken, homemade taco seasoning all neatly wrapped in a little foil package.
Not going camping? No problem. Make them on the grill! They are perfect for entertaining since they can be made ahead of time, taste amazing, and best of all, no dishes!
Time Saving Tips and Tricks
Prep: Cut your peppers and onions and seal them in an airtight bag. Make the marinade. Slice your chicken. Combine marinade and chicken in an airtight bag and store in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Make Ahead: The foil packs can be pre-made the night before or morning of. Assemble them, and store in the refrigerator until grill time.
Freeze: You can make foil fajita freezer packs.
- Make the marinade.
- Slice the chicken.
- Combine the marinade and chicken in an airtight bag. There is no need to allow it to marinade before freezing. It will do this when it thaws.
- Slice up the peppers and onions. Place them in an airtight bag.
- Take your chicken/marinade bag and your veggie bag and place them in a large airtight freezer safe ziplock bag together. Label and date. Store for up to 3 months.
Foil Pack Fajitas
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 fajita packets
- 1.5 lbs. of boneless skinless chicken breast (organic recommended)
- 3 TBS olive oil, divided
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 TBS clean taco seasoning
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced lengthwise
- 2 tomatos (I actually used cherry tomatoes because I had them and they were delicious)
- 2 limes
- Whole wheat tortillas
- grated cheese
- shredded lettuce
- avocado slices
- MARINADE: In small bowl combine the juice of 2 lemons, 2 TBS olive oil, 1 tsp pink himalayan salt, and 5 Tsp of clean eating taco seasoning. Stir until combined.
- In a heavy duty resealable bag combine marinade and chicken. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours. (I usually try to leave it overnight).
- FOILPACK ASSEMBLY:
- Tear off 16x 16 sheets of aluminum foil
- Place 1/4 of the peppers, onions, and tomatos in the middle of each piece of foil. Sprinkle veggies with salt and pepper. Lay 1/4 of the marinated chicken over each veggie pile. Squeeze 1/4 of a lime over each packet. Drizzle 1-2 tsp of extra marinade over each packet. Fold packet (see link to video on how to do this below).
- Grill Directions: Grill over a medium flame for 15-20 minutes. Seam side down.
- Campfire Directions: Cook in the hot coals of the fire until chicken is opaque and veggies are tender. About 20 minutes.
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!