The cheesy spinach and artichoke dip that we all love but… crockpot style. It’s simple to make, requiring just 12 ingredients, a crockpot and 15 minutes prep.
Let’s just state the obvious right now: I know nothing about football. Not the rules, not the schedule, not the stats… nada.
It’s just not my thing.
Now, that’s not to say that I don’t enjoy football season. I am an enthusiastic tailgater, pot-lucker, chili consumer.. you get the idea.
Soooo, when football gatherings occur around our house, I’ve taken on the official self-appointed role of “maker-of-all-snacks.” You guys, this is not a bad gig. All the best parts of football (wings, loaded potato skins, fancy dips, etc.) with none of the boredom that occurs when sitting for hours and watching a game in which you have No. Idea. What. Is. Happening.
As the official maker of football snacks, I feel that I have the authority to make the following claim.. there is NO better game-day snack than THIS crockpot spinach artichoke dip. It’s cheesy and creamy with just the right amount of spice from the pepper-jack cheese and hot sauce. It’s simple to make (think 15 minutes prep and no dirty dishes) and while it may not be low-calorie, it is made from whole-food ingredients. Nothing artificial here. Buuuut, let’s be serious, I didn’t need to tell you any of that. I had you at crockpot?.
Slow Cooker Spinach and Artichoke Dip VIDEO:
No time to watch the video? No problem. Let me sum it up for you.
- Throw all the ingredients into a crockpot.
It’s really that simple. Check it out…
Time Saving Tips and Tricks:
Prep: There isn’t a whole lot that needs to be prepped for this recipe since you just dump everything into a crockpot. I did shred my cheese in advance. Most store-bought cheeses that are pre-shredded contain funky ingredients to keep it from sticking together (think wood pulp), sooo… I just use a food processor and shred my own in big batches. Not feeling that option? Just make sure to find shredded cheese that does not contain cellulose. If you find some… let me know the brand in the comments section!
Make-Ahead: Yep! You can make this dip ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator in a sealed container for at least 3 days. When ready to serve, pop it back into the crockpot and heat it up. If it gets thick on you.. just add a little milk.
Freezer: You bet! Don’t eat the entire batch? No problem. Pop the leftovers into an airtight Ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to a month. To thaw, remove from freezer and place in the fridge overnight. Before serving, heat in the crockpot. Add milk if the dip is too thick.
Crockpot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/4 TBS butter
- 12 oz fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 14oz. can artichokes hearts, chopped
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup plain whole-milk greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TBS milk (+ more if final dip is thicker than desired)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 dashes of hot sauce
- Grease the crockpot base with butter to keep dip from sticking.
- Place all ingredients into the base of a crockpot. Stir well.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Stir well and add milk as needed. Serve warm.
- Make you own pita chips! It gives you total control over the quality and quantity of ingredients! Annnnd…. they are REALLY good!
- This dip has a little bit of kick to it.. don’t want ANY spice? Skip the hot sauce.
- Purchasing organic dairy is always best, if possible… look for organic whole-milk greek yogurt and cheeses.
- If you are home while the crockpot is going.. .stir the dip a couple times while it is cooking.
- Don’t forget to grease the crockpot base! The dip sticks and burns.
- Looking for more healthy whole-food recipes? Check out Simply Sissom on Pinterest. If you like it, follow! New pins are added daily from my favorite bloggers from around the web!
- You can also find Simply Sissom on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Check it out and if you like what you see.. follow?!!
Other Game-Day Recipes you might like!
FREE: GRAB N" GO BREAKFAST EBOOK
10 Make-Ahead,Whole Food Breakfast Recipes to help mornings go a little smoother and maybe even get you a little bit of extra sleep!